Fresh grass and its uses.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyGrandbunns

Reaction score
Hello dear Bunny famiy.
Lately I haven't been coping with looking after my lawns. I have quite a few clumps of long lush grass. I have been picking a small handful for Bunny Jett- after seeing him tolerate it well and big "happy" looking droppings, I have started giving daily. He loves his fresh grass. Do others do this as well? I also then wondered if i should dry some of the grass and see if this was nice for him too. Has anyone ever done that? Sorry if these are silly questions!
Thanks anyway :)
Mary

I did sometimes cut some of the long thick stemmed grass growing outside, along with gathering safe tree leaves and other forage for my rabbits to eat. I also would dry some of the forage to store to give during the winter.

The only time I dried the grass is when a dumped pet rabbit I found outside, wouldn't eat the timothy hay I fed to my other rabbits. So I started her on fresh grass, which she was used to from living 'wild'. Then I dried some of it and gave part fresh part dried, then I mixed in some of the timothy hay, and she eventually went to eating just hay like the rest of my buns, with only fresh grass as a 'treat'.

One thing about feeding fresh grass and forage, is to be aware of the risk of calicivirus, and make sure your rabbit has the needed vaccinations to protect against this risk. Also make sure mxyomatosis isn't a risk in your country. From what I read, it may not be.

Many thanks for reply Jenny :) Much appreciated.have a good day with your bunns!

Latest posts

Back