fresh foods

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read about 12 weeks. But my baby he's about 41/2 months I've been semi letting him nibble on pieces of banana and apple. He's still on alfalfa pellets until he's about a year old. If you decide to feed fresh do it in small portions because you can upset the belly and cause problems.

Generally, 12 weeks old assuming they tolerate them well (unless you get the rabbit from a breeder and the breeder was letting them eat their mom's veggies). It's important to introduce them one at a time, starting with a very small amount and gradually increasing how much you give - monitor the rabbit's poops to make sure the veggies aren't upsetting their system (if they are, decrease the amounts/go more slowly or just wait a month or two and then try again).

I am so confused with the whole veggies/fruit thing...... Another site that im a member of for just Flemish Giants (which i have) claims they don't really need the fresh foods....only hay and pellets. That the fresh foods are really just a treat. So which is it? I certaintly dont want my bunny to feel negleted or not be giving hin something that he needs! Any help is appreciated!

Everyone has their own varying opinions on what is correct and what isn't.
Some people offer only fresh foods and hay. No pellets.
Some offer just pellets.
Some offer just pellets and hay.
The important thing is to ensure your rabbit gets a BALANCED diet.

IMO - Fresh veggies, high quality pellets, and a good grass hay - is the best diet.

I just gave our 2 month olds a handful of lettuce.. they were not sure about it. But when they saw they cage neighbors digging in.. it didnt take them long to devour their clumps ... cute cute!

You will find different diet philosophies out there. Oftentimes it is the difference in what the bunnies are being raised for/as. Breeder buns have different dietary requirements than indoor pet rabbits.

An article from House Rabbit Society explains some of this and what the differences in diet are.
[FONT=&quot]http://rabbit.org/natural-nutrition-part-ii-pellets-and-veggies-2/

Basically, it is recommended that an indoor rabbit get even fewer pellets than previously recommended. Hay is still unlimited, but with the fewer pellets comes the recommendation for even more greens so that a good balance can be met.

The article, though, should help shed some light on this.
[/FONT]

I just gave our 2 month olds a handful of lettuce.. they were not sure about it. But when they saw they cage neighbors digging in.. it didnt take them long to devour their clumps ... cute cute!

If this is their first time having lettuce, do be sure to keep a close eye on their poos. A handful for 8 week olds is quite a bit all at once (if they haven't had it before). Their digestive system is so delicate at this age.

Latest posts

Back