French Lops with hidden genes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAK Rabbitry

Reaction score
So lets start from the begining.
I boght two purebred pedigreed French Lops from a reputable breeder. Their names were Darko and Ziad. I crossed the two and kept a doe whom I named Jaidyn.

Part 2
A very close friend of mien was selling out of French Lops and offered me ther est of her herd for cheap. I picked up an opal named ''Opie'' and his 2 offspring from the same litter, Paris and Chad.

Now I've gotten 4-6 litters from Paris over the years. And I've gotten 3 litters from Chad. And one from Opie. No problems here.

A few months ago, I decided to let Jaidyn and Chad have a roll in the hay so to speak. And LO! A healthy litter of 5 featuring 3 broken opals, 1 broken Chestnut, and 1 solid opal.

They were all born on May 31, 2008. So they're about 6 weeks old. They weigh about 5 pounds, They're eating well, hopping around, binkying like crack addicts, basically, like all the other litters I've seen from both sides of this line...veryv ery normal everything!

Except in the last week or so, I've really been noticing something strange with the solid opal in the litter. Now French lops are classified as having ''normal'' fur...but it is a bit longer and denser. But this little opal.... His fur is LONG. Compared to his siblings and every other French Lop baby who's passed through my rabbitry....this is very abnormal. I'm not worried for his health at all, he's fien as far as I can see. But his fur is definitely 2 1/2 - 3 inches in length. Its most notable on his head, he's got big long cheek tufts like....well not including his ears his head looks exactly like a Jersey Woolies head.

Now the first thing I would consider as explanation Is that this isn't a purebred French Lop. However I havet he liens traced back so far through reputable breeders, I know most of them personally and all have very strong reputations... I just can't consider that an option. If there is something else int he mix, I would think it were so incredibly far back it shouldn't be making a difference.

What I'm asking is, Is there some funky long haired French Lop gene I don't know about that just randomly pops up here and there? Like a blue-eyed Dutch or an Astrex-furred rabbit?

I'll post pictures in the morning but right now my camera is dead and my cable for it is MIA since vacation,i' ll havet o dig it out...

comments?

The recessive wooled gene is floating around in many French Lop lines. We've sheared some French Lop woolies. ;)

Pam

pamnock wrote:
The recessive wooled gene is floating around in many French Lop lines. We've sheared some French Lop woolies. ;)

Pam
I believe my Melody Frankenbunny falls into this category. The vet says she has thethickest and longest fur of any French Lop he has seen. She moults like 3 rabbits combined.

seniorcats wrote:

I believe my Melody Frankenbunny falls into this category. The vet says she has thethickest and longest fur of any French Lop he has seen. She moults like 3 rabbits combined.

It's possible that she recessively carries the gene. Carriers often have longer coats. We see this frequently in the Holland Lops.

Pam

First pic is the ''normal'' members of the litter. Andthe rest are the dustbunny.

fnormal.jpg

fuzz2.jpg

fuzz3.jpg

fuzz4.jpg

fuzz.jpg

My friend Mandi is going to take her. Mandi raises the English angoras, so i'm confident fuzzball will be well cared for and looked after, And she'll only live 15 minutes away so I can post pics and we can watch her grow.

Mandi said she would have loved ot have gotten into a second breed and the French Lops would have been it, but she just didnt' havet he space or time. But this was the best of both worlds!

that would be TOO logical. I'm not allowed to do things that make sense. besides, I've got as many bunnies as I can handle, and although the bf wants a buddy for his, I think he has his heart set on a flemmie.

one day...

I know a French Lop breeder that constantly gets fuzzies. She works with rabbits from the same breeder over and over, never really keeps anything from her breeds for as longas nothing so I think that is why she gets all the fuzzies.

The small-time feed store dealer I buy from (part time business out of his garage) breeds Frenchies (mainly sells to 4H kids). He had babies last time I was there! I know there's an ARBA breeder in Saukville too.;)

Frenchies are an ideal breed for me. I want big bunnies and James wants a lop. Best of both worlds!:biggrin2:

tonyshuman wrote:
that would be TOO logical. I'm not allowed to do things that make sense. besides, I've got as many bunnies as I can handle, and although the bf wants a buddy for his, I think he has his heart set on a flemmie.

one day...

Back