French lop shedding like crazy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauralouise

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a male french lop called teddy who is 13 month old, he is neutered. He lives in our kitchen in a large dog crate and gets lots if attention and exercise. However he sheds constant! It's always flying in the air and lying on the floor and windowsill. Does anyone have any tips or anything for getting rid of this fur it cutting down on the shedding, there seems to be no pattern i feel like he's constantly been shedding almost since we brought him home. I have got a furminator however he doesn't allow me to brush him as he really hates it.
Thanks
Laura

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Floating hair, it seems, is part of life with a bunny (my life anyway). I used to have a french lop too that lived in the kitchen/dining room. Everyday I had to wipe the fur off our dark wood table. It just gets airborne and floats and drifts everywhere. Some weeks seemed worse than others.

The drapes near our current cage seem constantly coated with bunny fur. I seem to be vacuuming the curtains as much as the floor. :vacuum:

I don't know if others have a better solution. I do more dusting to remove fur than to remove dust.

How long have you had him? Rabbits really don't shed like some cats or dogs do...you shouldn't be finding floating hair all the time. If he seems to be shedding excessively for long periods of time, it may be related to diet. What are you feeding him and in what amounts?

Sometimes it's genetics too. Body and fur condition is something reputable breeders work toward.

My french lops always shed like crazy. I used to take a wet paper towel and "brush" them with it, it sticks to the hair and does a wonderful job or tape.. not super sticky though lol.

Can I please ask, how do buns normally react on Furminator? I thought they should like it. I will be buying it for my buns and need to know what to expect.

I've read that constantly changing temperatures like super hot days and really cold nights or homes with air conditioning affect a bun's shedding. Coz they're little bodies are trying to adjust to the temperature- thick fur when it's cold, thinner fur when it's hot hence the constant shedding. Would this apply to your bun's environment?

You may train a bunny to do tricks, but a bunny teaches you patiences and the fragile beauty of silence.

We've had teddy since he was 8 weeks so almost a year now. He has a diet if mainly pellets and hay and he gets veg too but not every day. The temperature doesn't fluctuate in the house too much so there's no real change from hot to cold. He seems to be a happy bunny and loves snuggling up on the sofa at night but the fur us starting to get unbearable and I had to change my clothes last night after he had been sitting with me watching tv and I was sneezing like mad xx

Mmm maybe he's shedding to his adult coat. My baby is a year and 2 months and he just came out of his heavy shedding (summer coat and adult coat) sometimes it takes awhile to fully get through shedding so I would give it a few months. It should stop. Unless the fur is coming off in patches and not growing back coz that's not normal.

Hopefully it all stops!

You may train a bunny to do tricks, but a bunny teaches you patience and the fragile beauty of silence.

Latest posts

Back