French lop breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michaela wrote:
I love how this forum hardly ever criticises for accidental breeding,it can happen so easily, not many forums are like this one!:group:

A forum i first went on actually banned the talk of breeding or babies. I once saw a girl's post get locked for posting that her rabbit had had accidental babies because of a pet shop mis-sexing.

wow poor girl and she only wanted help! i forgot to put that on my bit i love this site too, i am on 3 other forums(sorry if that's like swearing on here lol) but none are as good as this one by far, this is my first stop, i go to others to give advice if i can, but i come here to get advice because you guys are great not criticising me even when i said i wanted to breed one litter u didn't have a go thats is truly great! :bunnydance:

Ginger's problems started about 6 weeks after she had the babies....and I weaned them a bit early. She just started not being herself...it is hard to explain. She was a lot more tired than usual. She sneezed a couple of times (but no snot or anything). So I weaned the babes at 6 weeks instead of letting them stay in longer like some other litters. She seemed to miss them but was relieved I think.

Then she started getting problems with bloat on a fairly regular basis...off and on..maybe a month or so apart.

Then she got ear mites...two or three times.

She would be active for a while and then start getting sick again.

Several weeks ago, she had what we believe is a stroke. I've talked to the vet (two actually) and they both say that is what it sounds like.My normal vet is an hour away and when I told her what was happening and how Ginger was acting and what we were doing - she stated that we were doing what she would recommend. I talked to another vet at our church who isn't as rabbit savy and she stated that she calls my vet when she has questions (she never neuters the rabbits but sends them to the other vet) and she said that I was doing what she would recommend.I'm on a yahoo list for slaves of disabled rabbits and they've given advice too but its the same thing I'm doing.

She had her litter in September of '05. In many ways, I wish I'd never bred her. The upside of her illnesses is that she used to not care for me - and now she and I adore each other. She grooms me and snuggles with me and lets me love on her. When I pick her up to care for her,she snuggles into my arms and is very affectionate with me.

Although she can't hop and run (or even sit), it is my prayer that shelives for another 4-5 years although I doubt that will happen. I spend at least an hour per day - and usually much more than that - caring for her. She is my "baby".

She sleeps in a laundry basket at night (with towels under her and to help her stay comfortable). She sits on my desk or on the breakfast bar when I'm in the kitchen...I have a special basket for her so she can sort of halfway sit and halfway recline. She usually puts herself in a reclining position. I hand feed her and give her water 4-5 times per day. I help her exercise her legs even though she hates it and would rather just sit in her basket or lay in her bed.

I keep thinking about writing a thread in the infirmary section about living with a disabled rabbit....but then I cry and am not sure how it would come across. Would some tell me to just put her down?

Anyway, I'm sorry for dumping on you guys....just watch your doe till after the babies are weaned. Of course, problems could still show up later too...then again, you may never have problems!

Peg

grumpybabies wrote:
when did the health problems start with yours or tinysmom?

Poor ginger :(i personally wouldn't tell you to put it down, you 2 obviously have a working relationship sussed out and she seems happy apart from you exercising her legs! atl east now i know that it wasn't me that deliberately bred my bun it washer choice to break out and get to my buck, although it won't make it any easier if she has problems...

Can i ask you some more questions pls? i'm sorry just a worried mum! i think the mum fed them last night but i have seen a photo on the net somewhere where the tummy looked bigger than my babies did, is it anything to worry about? do u have any photos i could compare to? or does anybody on here? also what is the danger period for new borns? i mean when are they most likely to die? i want to be able to start relaxing and enjoying them but i can't! if i touched them yesterday and she fed them all ok last night she won't reject them now at this point will she if i still touch them? thanks again

First of all, we're here for questions. Ask away and don't worry about having too many questions. :D

If mama fed them last night, they will have ping pong bellies right after being fed. However, let's say she fed them at 1 am and you don't check them till 8 am....then they've had 7 hours to process some of the milk. If they're getting cold or their bellies are starting to look shrunken...then you know they're not eating.

Let's talk about some of the danger times for a litter. Maybe that will help you.

Until their fur comes in, it is dangerous for them if they get out of the nestbox because they have no way to keep warm. They need each other to keep them warm and of course they need the warmth the nestbox gives by containing them together w/ mama's fur, etc. If a baby is still attached to mama's nipple when she leaves the nestbox...and comes out of the box...then you have a danger time. Sometimes a mama will lay beside the baby and keep it warm till I get there. Unfortunately, I've had a couple of does accidentally squish the baby trying to keep itwarm. But a really good mama will try to keep the baby warm if it realizes that one is loose.

If mama gets mastitis and her nipple areas are inflamed, then there isa danger of infection in the milk. This is one reason why breeders will often breed two or more does at the same time - so they can foster if necessary. I once had feed problems and I had several does who didn't have milk come in - so Matilda kept TWENTY FOUR babies alive for 3 days while I waited desperately for another mama to give birth and have milk come in. Every 8 hours I gave her another set of 8 babies...so every baby got fed once per day. Fortunately, she had a wonderful milk supply and was willing to nurse that often and clean the babies, etc. If your doe gets mastitis, you will probably have to hand feed the babies.

Once their eyes are open and they can see and they are getting out of the nestbox, it can also be a bit of a dangerous time. Make sure they can't get out of the cage or hutch...they're often still small enough that they'll try to sneak out and explore 'cause they're curious.

Weaning can be a time of concern as the babies are leaving mama. Istart my babies on hay and oatmeal before they have rabbit food - forat least 2-3 days. Some of them might sneak a pellet or two but I tryto get them going on the oatmeal first.

My point? Until baby is successfully weaned from mama - there isn't totally a "safe" time. You just have to enjoy them anyway and know that you run the risk of having your heart broken. A few weeks ago I lost a 5 week old baby - I knew he wasn't thriving as well as his litter mates but I was hoping he'd make it. I thought he was going to make it and the day before he died, he snoozed in my hand for an hour while I took a nap. The next morning I went out and found him dead.That was tough but sometimes it happens.

If mama is comfortable with you - she will probably let you hold the babies now. I'd have a bottle of vanilla with me and when you're done holding the babies - put a drop on mama's nose after you put the babies back in the cage. All she'll be able to smell then is vanilla and the babies will have the nestbox scent again soon.

Peg

grumpybabies wrote:
Can i ask you some more questions pls? i'm sorry just a worried mum! i think the mum fed them last night but i have seen a photo on the net somewhere where the tummy looked bigger than my babies did, is it anything to worry about?do u have any photos i could compare to? or does anybody on here? also what is the danger period for new borns? i mean when are they most likely to die? i want to be able to start relaxing and enjoying them but i can't! if i touched them yesterday and she fed them all ok last night she won't reject them now at this point will she if i still touch them? thanks again

that all really did help thanks once again! i do worry i ask too many questions but hopefully i won't have many more! i couldn't find a nest box anywhere in england, bad hey?! but they have a lovely warm nest and i have put a plank of wood above the level of the nest so they can't fall out, well hopefully! and when they start crawling god knows! i'm more confident from what you said though thanks. i will just check them once a day to check they have been fed and are alive and well. i will try and control my cuddling urges until then lol

Wow, you're great at giving advice Peg!:)

Grumpybabies, Berri's health problems are not nearly as bad as Peg's bunny. She had the babies in March, and then, a few months later she started getting abscesses, first there was one on her jaw, she had surgery to remove it, then one under her eye, causing it to bulge out,that one was drained, and now she has a big one in her dewlap, going to the vets soon for that.

Like I said, I have no idea if that happened from the breeding or just a coincidence:dunno, but I think most mamas don't have a problem.

I hate that I had no Internet at the time Berri had the babies, I had to rely on books, and most of them said not to touch the babies until they are two weeks old, and we were worried she'd kill them or something if we touched them, so we had to make do with just looking at them!:shock: Of course I know different now....:rollseyes And I know it wouldn't have been a problem with Berri, she was soo good at looking after them, she didn't want to stop feeding them, it was ten weeks before they finally were fully weaned! But she would gladly have let them go on longer!:lol

*cough* Do you have any pictures of your little bundles? *cough*

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

Oh no....I cuddle mine from day one.

In fact, one of my favorites, Harriet, used to sleep in my hand for an hour at a time all curled up. I kept saying, "I am NOT keeping a single mane chestnut lionhead. I don't care for chestnuts and I don't want single manes." But Harriet was so sweet - she just laid there and when I'd pet her as her fur came in, she'd just snuggle into my hand even deeper. Others would squirm and move around and want back into the nest.

Then Harriet's eyes opened and I fell in love. She loved me petting her all the more and instead of wanting to explore -she wanted to cuddle into my hand. Mind you - she still could fit in my hand.

Harriet grew and was my pride and joy. Why...she was so good with the younger babies. I decided that maybe I could keep one single mane chestnut. After all, she was a girl.

Then the day came when Harriet mounted my arm when I was playing with her. I decided to check her....and she...was a HE.

Oh no! I didn't want a BUCK.

I cried and cried. Harriet had to get a cage immediately.

I made my decision - I would rehome Harriet. I didn't want a buck that I wasn't going to use for breeding.

That was over a year ago. Harriet still lives with me and every nigh the snuggles up to me for cuddles when I go to feed the bucks. In fact,whenever I walk into the garage at all - he gets pets and a snuggle.

I can't let him go. He won my heart even before his eyes were open -even before he had fur. We bonded when he was 2 days old....and he'll forever be one of my "heart bunnies".

So cuddle with them now. It is amazing how you will probably find yourself bonding to one or two in particular....even at this age.

Peg

thats what i want to do i have a favourite looking one already, its going to be white with a line of grey or black spots down its back, but i want to bring them all in and cuddle the mall the time but i'm still worried about mum minding.... i don't want it to be my fault if she abandons them, she would barely let me touch her before she had the babies, so i'm worried she will turn on them...i will be patient for a few more days then take it she doesn't mind,i've already taken some out about 7 times in just over 24 hours so there shouldn't be a problem but just in case... and then you guys will have loads of piccies to see!

hint hint was that michaela? ;)for piccies i mean! i am still worried that she will turn on them or abandon them so if she goes ok through tonight i may do photos tom or the next day as today she ywice saw me holding them and going into the nest which i think is a big risk but u will get fed up of pics soon lol

Latest posts

Back