French lop breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
Hey guys i've just joined today i've read loads of messages already and u all seem so friendly! i just need a little help with a possible pregnant french lop... it broke out of its hutch and i guess had fun with my dwarf lop but i was at work just found them sitting next to each other! i read somewhere that if u put them together after wards if the doe goes for the buck she is pregnant is this true and she did go for him or could it be a false pregnancy? she hasn't put on weight i think apart from under her chin but i heard this is a sign of pregnancy too is that right? by the way thefrench lopis the mum... i would be petrified if it was the other way around lol! also are frenchs hard to breed or bad parents or anythin i should know? thanks for any help u can give me!

The doe mating the buck is a sign of dominance. She is showing him that she is the dominant one. It is not a sign that she is pregnant. The extra skin under her chin is called a dewlap. It is common in French Lops. How long ago did this mating happen?

Gestation is 28-35 days with the average being 31 days. Is she outside or inside? Do you have a quiet place with a nestbox where she can have her babies if she is pregnant?

Sharon

sorry i wrote that wrong, they did mate properly, i presume she went to him because she broke out of her hutch to get to him first time, so would that mean she knew she had eggs ready? but now she is going for him is that a good sign of pregnancy? she is in ashed with a few other bunnies but her hutch is too big for me to bring in the house, i'm making a kind of hutch box for her that needs to be done soon doesn't it? a couple of days before? i'm worried that i'm excited for nothing, but i'm also trying to sort out new hutches for the babies as i'm keeping them all!

The nest box needs to be in at about the 25th day. As long as the temp. doesn't get to freezing, they should be fine.

How many days has it been?

Sharon

26 days today so i will do it tom she is lying down a lot so i'm hoping thats a good sign that she is preg and there are lots of babies :D

At this age....you should be able to take her out and put her on somewhere flat. If you put your hands flat against the sides of her stomach, and GENTLY press, you should be able to feel them in her and also feel them kick.

Sharon

Keep us updated.

well i don't think i can feel anything i hope i'm wrong though! she won't really stay still long enough! but its not long now if she is so i'll just have to be patient!

i know some of you will disagree with me but pls don't have a go at me, now i have had the excitement of waiting for babies, and is till may have them but i doubt it i can't feel any, i would like to breed just one litter for myself to keep for pets, i know both rabbits have a good history as i got them from a breeder not a pet shop, so what can i do to increase the chances of pregnancy? i have heard keep a light on as it is winter and its darker, but the female won't go near my buck so i guess there is a small chance she is pregnant still, but if she isn't will this get sorted out? any help you can give me will be great thanks

First of all, you need to read this:

grumpybabies wrote: [/b]
i know some of you will disagree with me
and
i would like to breed just one litter for myself to keep for pets,
and
any help you can give me will be great thanks

Thanks for all of that i really appreciate your help and no criticism it is very kind of you. To be honest at first a pregnancy may have happened as an accident through a door that my doe broke downas said at the top so although i knew some things about breeding because i've bought every book i have ever seen on rabbits to be honest but i didn't know enough by far!. so i came to you experts here for advice, and i phoned the breeder that i got my doe and buck from for advice too and i am on another 3 forums, and i immediately spoke to my vet so although i am never going to be as good as any of you on here, i do think i have planned as much as i can, i would never do it if i thought i couldn't give my doe the best care and if i couldn't afford the vets bills because boy i know how much they come too lol! i will try and get hold of that book you said as soon as i can, but i never know i may still have a litter from the accident its31 days tom but i can't feel anything, unless there's only one or two,and after i read that book i prob will go ahead because the joy of having babies must outweigh the costs! and if i get any problems i will make sure she gets the best care and advice from you guys if u don't mind?!!

You have to understand something - at least about me. I'm not here to criticize others.

Accidents happen - and we're here to help those who've had accidents.

People want to breed and if you're determined to breed - we're here to help.

But I think the mods would agree that we want to make sure people know the possibilities before they breed a litter. If you are prepared to care for however many babies there are....and you understand it is along-term commitment, I understand your desire. I would just hate to have you say 6 months from now, "My doe's immune system started breaking down after she gave birth...why didn't ya'll warn me?"

Breeding can be wonderful - and heartbreaking. When I got up this morning - we'd lost four babies during the night. Two of them were teeny tiny ones I was writing about in the lionhead blog I'm doing. I bawled my eyes out. Two were from a doe that had refused a nest box over and over. She'd had three babies and one died yesterday (she'd over cleaned it and removed a leg by mistake..). I kept trying and trying to put them in a nest box for her...she'd keep tipping it over.She'd pulled a TON of hair so I let her keep them in her nest she'd made. Well...the two that were left got separated when she fed them..one was fed...one wasn't...and they both died due to lack of warmth. (And my rabbitry is in the sun room but it has been very cold here in TX lately).

We also had a litter of five born...on the wire. Right now they're in with another litter that has fur so they can get warm...and then they'll go back in with mama in a nest box. She was a first time mama and she didn't want to use a nest box....she made her nest in the corner but didn't pull fur. I think these one will make it...at least four of them.

My point? Breeding isn't all fun and it isn't all about cute little babies. At times, it hurts and you lose a litter or a baby and you get discouraged. But ... knowing all that...I'd still breed.

As long as you breed responsibly - no criticism from me!

Peg

I totally understand that you wish to breed, but hang on... if you only want one litter to have a go.. and your expecting one, then why don't you just keep that as the litter you've always wanted. Seeing as it was an accident and cannot be taken back now you should just cherish this litter and then not breed agin.

i don't know if i am expecting one you see, if i am it will be in the next couple of days but if she doesn't have one i will be so disappointed so hence me wanting to breed just one litter,and i have lost a lot of animals recently so i know about loss, and vets bills! i know i will cry my eyes out with any loss, but i think i will lose all bunnies eventually so i may as well have the joy of them while they are here rather than miss out totally does that sound horrid?

No it doesn't. I see that you have got 6 babies, so is this the last time your going to breed or are you going to try again?

I'd love to breed but i don't think i can afford it. I may do later in my life, just once. But i would want to make sure i had the means to care for a baby.

no this is it, unless for whatever reason they all pass on but i doubt it very much, i know the still born rate is so high for first litters and as thathasn't happened i have a very good feeling about them! i am quite friendly withmy vet so i am going to ask him to do a bulk buy discount on having them all spayed lol! i know its going to be expensive but that can never takeaway from the feeling of seeing a pile of fur moving this morning:Dlol

You think seeing the pile of fur moving was something?

Wait till the first kit opens their eyes...and then they venture out of the nest...and then they climb on mama...then they realize that you're ok too and the wait at the cage door for you to feed them.

Enjoy these next few weeks while you can....you'll make lots of memories..

Peg

grumpybabies wrote:
but that can never take away from the feeling of seeing a pile of fur moving this morning:Dlol

i know i just haven't got that far yet lol it was just so wonderful knowing i did have babies and all healthy more importantly! can't wait to see the colours, there are 3 or 4 selfs but i don't know if they are grey or black and a couple of mixed i'm like a kid in a sweet shop sorry!

We had a litter earlier this year (with my neighbour's buck, I'm sure most of you know I've said it many times!:rollseyes)

It is such a wonderful time, you're going to love it!:bunnydance:

But like Peg with GingerSpice, Berri has had health problems since:(I don't know if it was the babies that caused it or what, but she's definitely not as healthy as she used to be.

Although her life has improved so much, as she no longer lives alone,she now has her two daughters living with her, in a much bigger house,and she is no longer the angry bun she used to be:)And of course I love the girls.

So breeding has it's good and bad points. I love how this forum hardly ever criticises for accidental breeding, it can happen so easily, not many forums are like this one!:group:

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

yes i remember reading about the neighbour's buck! at least you got some lovely buns from it! when did the health problems start with yours or tinysmom? mine seems so happy, and like yours is so friendly after the birth when she wouldn't really be touched before how crazy!! but how great! if i have touched the babies on the first day and then at night she has fed them then it is safe to touch them now without the risk of her going for them isn't it? i just want to check on a morning that they have been fed. they didn't have huge bellies but they were more rounded thats ok isn't it do you think?

Back