Free roam

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollynRabbits

Reaction score
does every one let there rabbits freeroam???:?

I want to and prob will. i have let him run around my room for 2 days in a row.:D

Hes really good about not chewing on things, so i dont worry and i put tons of toys on the ground for him....

does any1 have any advice on it???:bunnydance::happybunny:

Unfortunately, I can't. But I think it's great if you are able to do it! :)

I will say that even though he hasn't shown an interest in chewing things, that doesn't mean he won't. Make sure that your room is 100% bunny-proof before you let him free roam, because rabbits can and will find things to do that you may not have expected ;)

I am a breeder - so I obviously won't let all of my rabbits free roam...but some of them do.

M.E. has an excellent point - make sure to bunny-proof your room. Then...once you've done it - double check yourself and do it again.

Robin was sitting on the couch one day shortly after we got Tiny. She was playing an XBox game....and the room had already been bunny-proofed.

Suddenly - her controller stopped working and she was so upset. She looked at the hookup...etc. As it turns out....Tiny had been sitting at her feet....chewing on the cord. So even in a bunny-proof room - bunnies can get themselves in trouble!

I can't recommend highly enough The House Rabbit Handbook (I hope I have the title right). Even though you only have one rabbit - it is a resource you really should read. It was a big help to me in making up my mind about letting some of our rabbits free-roam. You may be able to find it in your local library.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you might have...just remember - if he's free roaming in your bedroom at night - it is possible to get a rabbit jumping across your head or pillow in his "bunny 500" practice time. We've gotten used to it..

Peg

My bunnies have their own room - uncarpeted because one loves to dig at carpet. All of the electrical cords are rabbit-proofed.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/rabbit-proofing.html

This article contains a lot of info on rabbit proofing electrical cords, baseboards, house plants, etc.

Another

http://www.beal-net.com/laluna/chew.html

with pictures of cord/cable proofing

http://www.mybunnies.com/wires.htm

Home holiday hazards to consider for free roam bunnies

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/hot_topics/holiday_hazards.html

Great info seniorcats :D

My rabbits are free roam. Believe me, no matter how well you think you have things protected, they will find a way through it. Bunny proof everything and check on it to make sure they aren't finding ways around it. Teach them to stay away from things also with either a loud firm 'no' ormake a 'thumping' sound to tell them 'danger'/no. If they dontlisten to any ofthat a squirt bottle with water usually works... but not always, some buns enjoy the water :?.

You also have to keep thingspicked upand away to keep the rabbits from chewing on stuff. Books, clothes, bedding, paperwork... You have to keep an eye on them when they're active and your doing things. Onesecondand you couldloose a cord. If you can do it, its worth the effort.I love waking up with a rabbit in my face sometimes... i dont likemy face being jumped on/over/scratched when i'm sleeping, so its a trade off:D

(Sung to "Home On The Range")...won't you all join me in my favorite song?

Oh Give Me a Home
Where a Bunny Can Roam
Where He Can Binky and Chew All the Day
Where Seldom is Heard
A Discouraging Word (No!)
And He Can Play with Toys His Way

(chorus)
Home...Home in my room
Where my toys are all my own...
Where I can run
And Have Lots of Fun
Because it is safe to play...

~~~
Ok....enough of my favorite song. Mom gave me "special permission" to come in here and post because I AM a free-roaming buck...and I love it!

For those who may not remember - I didn't start out as a free-roaming buck. I had a big cage and mom cleaned it every day and let me out several times during the day. In fact, until the dwarfs and I outgrew our "babyhood"...we had free roam during the day and had a set bedtime at night for our cages.

One thing mom believes in now is that in order to create a place for a free-roaming bunny, you must already have a level of trust with that rabbit. She hated it when I made her do her aerobics practice trying to catch me. We had to build a level of trust where I would at least stop for 10 seconds to let her catch her breath and give her a fighting chance.

Now, when mom prepares a rabbit to be "free-roaming" - she makes sure that the rabbit will pretty much stop when it hears its name in the rabbitry and is playing on the floor. So - candidates for free-roaming...prove themselves by building that "trust" relationship with mom. Trust me on this - before you let your bunny free-roam...make sure you're fast enough to catch them if you don't have this trust relationship.

Secondly, mom provides LOTS of cardboard tubes and stuff for toys. She bought us toys too - but we're like cats...we like the free stuff. The girls love to shred mom's mailers that come with some sort of advertisement in them. Me? I'm a big buck....I have to go for the cardboard boxes to show my STRONG Teeth... :dancing:

Thirdly, we have lots of space for our bunny runs....make sure that you keep the way clear though. If you have a habit of dropping things on the floor (clothes as you take them off - or whatever) - please remember....if its at my level...its fair game! I might chew on it...or if I'm mad at you - I might use it for the bathrom...

Safety really is important to us bunnies. We know you don't want us to mess with cords...but come on...they're SOOO interesting. Maybe it is really a tree root in your room and we can get some good nutrients out of it.

If you find we chew - use a bit of Tobasco sauce or bitter apple or ask on the forum what to do.

Finally - remember that while it is FUN to be a FREE ROAMING BUN....caged buns can also be happy if they receive lots of love and attention (and don't forget healthy treats). I'm lucky because mom can be home full-time almost and my backyard is safe for me. Others don't have that advantage...but they still get LOTS of love...

...and really...isn't that what we need anyway? Food...love....attention...and safety precautions from you wonderful parents.

Well...thanks for reading my post. Mom says I have to go back to "lurkdom" now and only post in my thread. But I hope I helped you see things from a "bunny's perspective".

The BunFather

P.S. Also make sure to remove important papers to a HIGH location. One of mom's lionheads once jumped up on the table and shredded a bill. Mom wasn't happy. I told her to just tell the bill person, "My bunny ate my bill..." :rofl:(without naming names, TITANIA!)...but she said that wouldn't be believed.

Poor mom...:bigtears:

lol neat song!! my bunny is free foam. we got him on march 28 05! we let him free roam 24/7 in july 2nd (MY B-DAY) so she is happy happy happy!!!

My bunnies have free roam. I use baby gates to block off the rooms. It works very well. Oh, and be sure to cover the cords. :)

both of mine are free roam over 90% of the house.. cords are covered..however, they like to chew baseboards if we dont cover them in ivory soap!

right now they're in their cage because we have a house inspection today, so they are most unhappy. lots of rattling going on in there lol

We'd love to have our 2 bunnies as free roaming, and probably will if we can bond them again. Currently we can only have one out of their cage at a time, otherwise a fight breaks out. When they're out of the cage they basically have free run of the first floor of the house. Sometimes we bring them upstairs for snuggles in the bed.

Jeff

i did that and peanut hated it, but then thats like the bitter apple some love it?? have you tried rubbing a orange on it,???? someoone told me ther rabbit hated oranges??? do they normally hate oranges

:?

When I'm at home, Velma has free roam of the apartment. I haven't completely bunny-proofed the apartment yet so I don't want her running around when I'm not home and can't watch her. I never knew about those things to put around eletrical cords so I'm going to have to check them out and bring some home. The cords are my biggest concern about letting her have free roam when I can't watch her. My boyfriend and I have so many things with dozens of cords so our place is pretty much full of all kinds of cords.

We put tabasco on the legs of our kitchen table, and the next day saw the rabbits licking all of it off. They thought it was delicious.

jeff

Back