Free-Range Outdoors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galinfla

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you free-range your rabbits outside. If so, how does that work? I've been trying to re-home my bunny, and this person wrote to say she was interested. The thing is, she lets her rabbits run around outdoors. She said there are two large dogs there to protect them from predators, which kind of added to my nervousness! Do any of you have experience with this sort of thing? Am I just being silly for being kind of worried for him in this type of environment?

It sounds pretty dangerous! Yes bunnies will stick around their cage/territory when they are out but are also exposed to stray dogs, hawks, and all sorts of predators. I might be a little less nervous if they had a fenced in back yard that the bunny ran around in. 2 of my 3 dogs are bunny safe so I would be a little weary about the dogs but some can definitely be trusted around rabbits.

Where i live has no foxes or hawks or badgers, nothing to hurt my bunnies except a cat. So i let my bunnies free in the garden as i have high brick walls that cats cannot climb to hurt my bunny. But if i lived somewhere with animals that could hurt my bunny i wouldn't allow them to live free range outside. Also, the way the woman says she would put your bunny in the back with the rest of her bunnies makes it sound as if she is just gonna put your bunny straight outside with no bonding, so your bunny could get attacked by the other bunnies.

I, personally, would not allow it. There are all kinds of things that can get your bunnies and if they get out of the yard, they would be gone.

We had three rabbits surrendered to us a year ago and they were kept "free range", although their definition of free range was having them able to get out of the fence as well. Thumper was attacked by something and had permanent damage to her rear end.

I don't know what sort of wildlife you have there, but I wouldn't recommend it. There's also the concern with him just being thrown out with the other rabbits... He's probably not used to being in a situation like that, it would be quite the shock.

I have heard someone say they had a similar set up. I however do not think this is safe.
Predetors are a big promblem. Even with dogs to protect them rabbits can literally be scared to death.
I would worry about my rabbits getting lost. I would hope that there is some sort of fencing. If you could I would try to check out the setting personally and see if its safe.

Even assuming the dogs are safe, I can't imagine them fighting off an alligator or whatever to save the rabbits. Plus there's the transmission of disease among the rabbits & from wild rabbits. I'd much rather surrender a rabbit to a shelter, even if it wasn't a no-kill shelter. At least it wouldn't have to worry about being attacked & being put down would be better than being something's prey.

Thanks so much for the replies. I didn't like the idea of doing this, but I didn't know if I was just being over-protective. It's good to get a little validation!

My neighbor free ranges her rabbit. Luckily, she looks like she's in good shape, but I can't tell you how many times I've almost hit her in my car! She runs out into the road and I feel like someone is going to hit her. Luckily, she's easy to spot because of her coloring. :/

Latest posts

Back