freaking out over chihuahua, what can we do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiah

Reaction score
my mom is visiting for the weekend and brought her chihuahua, an old, blind, feeble little thing that's way smaller than our Mufasa, but he's completely freaking out and acting like something's out to kill him. (not just thumping, but running around crazy)

does anyone have any suggestions on calming terrified buns down??? we've put the dog in the kitchen with a blockade so she can't wander into the living room and accidentally bump into the cage, but other than that, we don't know what to do.

i'm afraid he'll overheat himself and/or injure himself if he keeps tearing around the cage in a panic. :( so far, he's calmed down a little since we contained the dog, but as i look over at him, i can see that he's still breathing quite rapidly. my mom's here till sunday morning, so if there's anything we can do to make the next 3 days less stressful for the buns, please let us know! (our other bun was initially frightened too, but not nearly so much as Mufasa)

thanks!

Kaiah:shock:

Give him some hidey places. A couple of boxes with an entrance and exit, so he can hide and feel safe from the "big mean monster".

I've had my friend over for visits who has a pug mix. And after a while (maybe half a day), the rabbits stop getting freaked out about her. They would run around and be scared even though I had the pen blocking the dogs access.

Make sure he has a couple of places he can feal hidden and secure. He should get used to the strange smell and sight soon.

--Dawn

I agree - give him some places to hide so he feels more secure and not so exposed to the dog. I have a lot of buns, and a lot that have not been around dogs, and I have to say none of mind are afraid of my Chihuahua lol- I think my Chi acts so much like a rabbit, they really don't worry about it lol.

But definately give him someplace to hide and try not to expose him to the dog too much if it's upseting him that badly. Poor guy.

Latest posts

Back