Four weeks to young to determine kit sex?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfloppy

Reaction score
I want to figure out of my four kits who the boysand girls are. They are roughlyfour weeks old now. Is this toyoung to be100% sure? Can anyone tell me the best wayto do this?Ive had three people tell me all sorts of things,butI think one of the breeders here would know best.

Thanks!!!:D

Sexing a 4 week old kit takes lots of practice.:) Without lots of practice and fantastic eyesight you won't have a100% answer. :)

Pam will have to 'describe' how to sex 4 week olds. I just do thesexing.. can't really describe besides a doe is a slit and a buck is acircle when you push down. It's easiest to lean with with the butthigher then their head when sexing younger kits. Thats the way I do itanyways *shrug*

~*~Amanda~*~
breeder of Dwarf Hotots :cool:

As Amanda said, good eyesight is necessary to be able to sex very young kits, but it is possible to even sex newborns.

For very young rabbits, the distance between the genitals and therectum is the easiest way to tell. Does connect very closely,where bucks have a littlemore of a space.

For the older kits, scissor the tail between your first and secondfingers and gently press in front of the genitalia to exposeit. Does will have a slanted "taco" appearance, where babybucks will have a tiny protruding round"donut".

Since it is very easy to bruise and damage the genitals, do take care in attempting to sex them at a young age.

Occasionally kits are mis-sexed even by the experts, so there's no wayto be 100% certain, even with older kits. Bucks with splitpenis (hypospadias) often appear to be does even up to 4 months of age.(The reason it is helpful to also observe the spacing between thegenitals and rectum).

Pam

Pam...thanks for reminding me! LOL!
I had sexed 6 newbornkits back in May and wrote them down.However, I had totally forgot I did that. Oh was I suprised when I justlooked at what I had wrote down. It was 100% correct! I had said 3bucks and 3 does..well thats what I ended up with!
You just made my day and didn't know it..so thought I'd let ya know LOL!

~*~Amanda~*~

Awesome! My eyesight isn't good enough to tell very well, so I ask Matthew for a second opinion :)

Pam

Yeah... that was the last group of litters that Iused my one buck. I had givin' him a 'fun pep talk' before I bred therabbits telling him I wanted a buck to 'take' his place in the barn.Well the bugger gave me a buck... but a BUB LOL! That was all that wasin the litter too! Err on him LOL!

I woke up this mornin' in a rather bad mood as I was still seeing theclock at 2 am and got up at 5:30 amwith a cat pouncing on mewhen the alarm went off wanting..food! So now I have a little more of acheer to my tired body before the hour drive off to school. ;)

~*~Amanda~*~

Thanks so much !!! Yes, my eyesight isn't sogreat, but my husband and five year old can help me out. I was veryscared of hurting them as well. My sister wants to take twokits of the same sex, and her friend wants the other two pending thesex as well.I would like nothing more than they they went aspairs. Of course I still have a few weeks to figure things out so tospeak.I don't want to see anybrother-sisterbreeding, nor contribute more to mixed breedoverpopulation! Bunny rescue here in NJ is closed now from beingoverwhelmed. Shelters are pretty grim in adoption as well. I saw twosigns for freebies in the feed store when buying straw. :XItis so sad!!!!

Thanks again and wish me luck..lol.

Watch with putting 2 males together, they mayfight. Buck Jones has always stressed that the best pairingsare buck and doe, then doe and doe then buck and buck being the leastwell paired. Good luck with the kits though! I'llbe joining you on the mad sexing with mine soon too!:? Cor, I hope I get them right!

Ang xx

Good luck! I hope that the bunnies' sexes turnout to be favorable for your needs. It would be wonderful for them tobe able to go to their forever homes as pairs, just like you said.

I know exactly how it feels to have young kits, and the desire to knowwhat gender they are. I've got 2 babes downstairs that i'm going to gohave a look at in just a bit. They are only 14 days old (today) so ihope that that wont make it too tough.....

Let us know what you find out!

I wonder if the two males are brothers andneutered would this help at all? My now neutered buck is the mostloving bun. He is the worst nest maker in the world though, right nowhe has 12" of straw piled with a tunnel going through. he buries allhis toys and dishes under his mess. The he thumps to tell us he has nowater, only because he buried it!!

It makes no difference if they're brothers or not.

Neutering CAN help the situation, but my 2 bunnies are proff that notalways. I think even neutered males are more likely to fight than afemale/male pair.

I wondered about two males fighting.

I have thought of getting Bo a playmate sometime, but I really prefer male rabbits because the neuter is easier and cheaper.

Male cats, rabbits

female dogs, rats

weird huh? lol

"Vent" area is just a general term for thegenital area. The genitals arelocated immediately in front of the anus. Press gently"north" of the genitals. If there is any way for someone tohelp you get a clear photo, we might be able to give you a definitiveanswer.

Pam

Lol....I am laughing about the post aboutcats/dogs/buns. I prefer male dogs, female cats and no opiniononrabbits. Male dogs are just so easy going, laying belly upon the sofa. Male cats freak out it seems.

I'm so scared to have my doe spayed. I knowit's done often but I'm stillafraid.

AND thanks Nepo for that question, lol. I wanted to ask that too, but, err, didn't.;)

bigfloppy wrote:
Lol....I am laughing about the post about cats/dogs/buns. Iprefer male dogs, female cats and no opinion onrabbits. Maledogs are just so easy going, laying belly up on the sofa.Male cats freak out it seems.

I'm so scared to have my doe spayed. I knowit's done often but I'm stillafraid.

AND thanks Nepo for that question, lol. I wanted to ask that too, but, err, didn't.;)
I don't like male dogs cause they lift their legs on everything!

Male cats if they are neutered are wonderful and usually cuddly.

bunnies.... just easier to neuter....

The 'vent' area is circled in yellow in thispicture... Gently press and slightly pull back, not much though, youdon't want to hurt the bunny. You should be able to see fromthere what sex s/he is...

Latest posts

Back