Found pee outside the litter and in the rabbit tunnel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all I am new to this forum so apologies if I’m doing this wrong but I wanted to ask a question as I’m a newish indoor bunny owner. I recently adopted two bonded rabbits they’re both desexed and are 5 months old.

They’re pretty well toilet trained and by that I mean they pee in the little box and do their bigger poop groups in there but often find a bunch of single pops scattered around the area they have and or the house when we let them explore.

today we found some pee inside their rabbit tunnel (material tunnel for them to play in) they’ve never peed in it before but last night we added a second part to it so it’s now in a T shape, since doing that they’ve been digging in it and playing in it more. This is the first time we’ve seen pee outside the litter box. So wanted to ask if you thought it was something we should worry about eg should we put the tunnel back into just one piece?

Also are the little single poops outside the box normal? I thought they were but some of the threads I’ve seen seem to indicate otherwise so would appreciate the advice :)

attached photo of area and buns for reference thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• EFB27D41-45D4-4089-B917-1A7781C7A314.jpeg
    EFB27D41-45D4-4089-B917-1A7781C7A314.jpeg
    500.6 KB · Views: 10
With many rabbits there will be some stray bunny berries, that's something to live with.

Although yours are already fixed (what sex are they?) they still are rather young and adolescents, and it can take some more time for things to settle. I would thoroughly clean where they pee with vingar, occasional accidents can happen.

If they insist on a spot I would either place a litter box there or block of that area, reducing the size of their enclosure.
It's a common mistake to give them too much space at the start where they decide to declare a corner a toilet, your pen looks a fine size though, but every rabbit is different.

Thanks for your reply! I have a boy (Miso) and girl (Melody) I am all good with the bunny berries and thought that was indeed the case just wanted to confirm since I was posting the question :)
Is there a specific type of vinegar to use? Does the smell of that ward them off peeing there or is it more to get the smell out of the material? It didn’t really soak in as the material is some what waterproofed it seems. We only knew cause we went to clean the berries… and tipped it upside down and liquid came out 🤣😱

also we increased the size of their enclosure area yesterday (2 weeks after we got them) they’ve seemed happy tho doing zoomies and binkies around the larger area whereas before they only did them when they were running around the house.

Thanks for your reply! I have a boy (Miso) and girl (Melody) I am all good with the bunny berries and thought that was indeed the case just wanted to confirm since I was posting the question :)
Is there a specific type of vinegar to use? Does the smell of that ward them off peeing there or is it more to get the smell out of the material? It didn’t really soak in as the material is some what waterproofed it seems. We only knew cause we went to clean the berries… and tipped it upside down and liquid came out 🤣😱

also we increased the size of their enclosure area yesterday (2 weeks after we got them) they’ve seemed happy tho doing zoomies and binkies around the larger area whereas before they only did them when they were running around the house.
White or apple cider vinegar should be ok. It’s mostly to get the smell of pee out of the material because if they smell anything that has their pee on it they tend to pee there again and again.

My girl who I've had for about 3 1/2 years now, has suddenly (every blue moon) began making a pee right where her and her husbun sleep (under my coffee table on the right side and next to the leg closest to me if I sleep on the couch).
The thing is, her husbun leaves what I call "territorial poops" all around where they lay under there 🤷‍♀️ he has done this since the day I brought him home, 5 years ago.
I'm thinking it's because there's another bunny close to us somewhere that they can smell.
So, I just soak it up with toilet paper and put into their litter box. Then I use a clean cloth, dab into vinegar and blot the area. It takes the urine scent out.

Latest posts

Back