Found cow dung in my hay??? Pic provided

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neatherlanddwarf

Reaction score
I was feeding my rabbits oxbow hay this morning when I stumbled across what appears to be cow dung or manure of some sort in their batch

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this matter! Is this something I should be worried about as far as E. coli and salmonella and similar things of that nature?

Maybe someone here who owns a farm could shed some light on this situation and tell me if this anything I should be worried about or not worried about!?

Thank you!View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1496505406.803799.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1496505418.851084.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1496505427.669502.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1496505434.740603.jpg

That's odd. I've never seen that in Oxbow hay- I would for sure contact the company to get a replacement/ alert them of a processing problem. I would monitor for any signs of ileus or diarrhea, but not start jumping to diseases yet. Just watch your bun closely for behavior changes, appetite changes, etc.

That's odd. I've never seen that in Oxbow hay- I would for sure contact the company to get a replacement/ alert them of a processing problem. I would monitor for any signs of ileus or diarrhea, but not start jumping to diseases yet. Just watch your bun closely for behavior changes, appetite changes, etc.

Yeah I wanted to contact them but they aren't open today!
Do you think I need to worry about anything?

I usually buy the big bulk from oxbow (9 pound box) from my local shell feed
Do you think I need to worry about anything? Or are the chances slim?

I usually buy the big bulk from oxbow (9 pound box) from my local shell feed
Do you think I need to worry about anything? Or are the chances slim?

I would say since they process hay and dry it, it's probably slim, but not impossible to worry about disease. So just keep a close eye on him for a couple weeks and you guys should be good.

Latest posts

Back