found a spay/neuter gif

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
I keep going back to shelter sites, telling myself im looking for somewhere to place ivory, but really looking at all the buns i can't have.

i found this image on one of the sites, and im wondering how exaggerated it is, cuz it seems like it would be.

NJ375.gif

Actually, it's worse than that. And there are actually people who accidently get one male and one female rabbit and just never separate the genders. Until they call a rescue. I've heard of several cases like that at Rabbit Rehome, and Seniorcats had a post about one near her.

This site adds the numbers up:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/scary.html

Uh it's totally correct!! :( I have two female rex's and my old roomate bought herself two male rabbits (even though she couldn't stand the one female rabbit she had before them... but that's another story). When she took off I had to take the males in (who later went to the humane society after one of them bit my boyfriend!). First lacy had 4 babies (all DNS - thanks to cats :() then Lacy had 4 bunnies and Cagney had 3 bunnies. All very cute and cuddly but I guess I got ride of them a little too slowly because THE MOMS ARE PREGNANT... AGAIN!!!!

If they weren't pedigree show rabbits I'd just have them spayed already!!! :shock:

Don't get me wrong, baby bunnies are adorable but they create a HUGE mess and unless you're moms are as sweet and trusting as mine it can be very hard to clean the nest for the first two weeks without them getting upset.

So:

2 rabbits =
4 rabbits =
9 rabbits =
3 rabbits = (kept one baby)
? rabbits :)

that's just 11 rabbits I've had just on my own in 6 months!!

Nes.

actually I added wrong. With lacy's first pregnancy (first time rabbit owner) we didn't know they were comming and she sliped out of her cage (a.k.a. rubbermaid container at that time - loooong story) and hopped into my room to birth them in a pillow case while I was gone for the night. I came back in the morning to 3 dead & one clinging but he only lived another 2 days (poor dewy :tears2:)

So really that's 15 rabbits I've had!!! :shock:

Nes.

An pair can produce an average of 36 offspring in one year.

Half of those would be does that would each begin producing at around 3 months of age, with 6 in a litter. The original litter would produce 4 litters in the first year, with their offspring also starting to produce litters.

I'm not a math genious, so it would take me forever to figure it out (anyone familiar with Fibonacci'sRabbits?)

Pam

NJ375.gif
NJ375.gif

[align=right][/align]

NJ375.gif
NJ375.gif

naturestee wrote:
Actually, it's worse than that. And there are actually people who accidently get one male and one female rabbit and just never separate the genders. Until they call a rescue. I've heard of several cases like that at Rabbit Rehome, and Seniorcats had a post about one near her.

This site adds the numbers up:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/scary.html

I sat here and did some multiplying and believe that the numbers on Dana's site are very accurate (and she even stayed on the conservative side!).

Pam

My math teacher taught us the Fibonacci formula, but I'll be darned if I can remember it. My brain goes garbage during summer!

Yes, Rainbows I saw that commercial a couple days ago. At first, I was like.... then I finally got what it was talking about.

Yes, me and my husband watched it last night, and after having seen it a few times before, finally got the idea! Did you notice that they started off with one black and one white, and in the end there were white, black, gray, and white with black doors? It's so funny...that they would be that accurate with it. I like that eventually there was just flat-out traffic because of the multiplication. LOL!!

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Did anybody see the new VW commercial? :D

Rainbows! :)

In the last traffic scene notice the ever so suttle starting and stopping, back & forth of some of the cars? :)

:shock:

Nes.

There's this place nicknamed the "Rabbit Park" because it all started with two released bunnies, who bred, and then their babies bred, and it's continued for about a year and a half... and there's hundreds of bunnies there now... a lot of them get sick and die or starve... it's so sad. People go there to feed them and rescue them all the time, but there's just SO MANY!

There's this place nicknamed the "Rabbit Park" because it all started with two released bunnies, who bred, and then their babies bred, and it's continued for about a year and a half... and there's hundreds of bunnies there now... a lot of them get sick and die or starve... it's so sad. People go there to feed them and rescue them all the time, but there's just SO MANY!

It's really sad that so many bunnies can be produced in such a short time. I just wish everybun had a wonderful, enjoyable life and none had to suffer because of overpopulation. I will never own a rabbit again without neutering him or her and I advise everyone I know who owns a rabbit to neuter it.

There is a town in Alberta that's having the same problem as 'rabbit park' I forget the name but the article is cliped to the fridge at home!

Nes.

There is a rabbit over population at UVIC (Victoria, BC). Someone we know there, says there are hundredds of the little guys. Dumb people letting pet rabbits go. How dumb can you get!

Same problem at University of Guelph in 03/04 when I was there - I never saw a SINGLE rabbit... but I was told other people were seeing TONS (otherside of campus I guess).

Nes.

There is a situation quite similiar on the Long Beach City College campus. Someone at one point dropped off their unwanted bunny(ies) and there has since been a running population of buns on the campus. I emailed someone there once to know more about it, and no one there really had many details about when it started, or where it started FROM. But, they did find an article that focused mainly on the fact that there is the problem of how to handle various health problems the bunnies tend to have, not to mention their terrible diet from all the human food they're fed on the campus.

Hopefully one day someone will be able to handle these types of situations. It's a shame that it's allowed to continue, and that everyone's become so apathetic about it. I wish there were something I could do, but ultimately, I live in a one bedroom apartment, and already have four animals, so I'm at my limit!

All my love to all those bunnies!! :heartbeat

People can be so stupid. If someone told me they were going to let their bunnies out to be 'free' I probably couldn't help but give them a good smack for their stupidity. Come on people! These are domestic animals, they don't do well in the wild! They either over populate or just die- most cases both!

:soapboxThere's my rant for the night! :).

Latest posts

Back