Fosters - Many Health Issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea

Reaction score
I just thought I would post and maybe get some advice on the two new foster bunnies I have just taken in.

They are two holland lop unaltered females around 4 years of age. The grey is tiny and maybe 2lbs, while the black is a big larger at maybe4lbs.
I was told by theownersthe Black (Ebony) had a spinal injury and is unable to use her back right leg properly, they said when they had the Vet look at it there was a small puncture wound and x-rays showed up nothing.
Ebony get's around all right, but cannot go in a straight line, and seems to not be able to put much weight on the leg, which sticks out a bit. She seems to be able to use it to scratch and to walk a bit.

Second thing, Ebony when she stops moving around, does a swaying with her head side to side. Almost like she's drunk, it's very suttle.
Ebony sldo on her left hind side is shedding and the hair is full of dead skin flakes. I'm guessing she cannot groom that side of her very well because of the bad leg, but the skin is icky and dandrufy.
Also both bunnies have a oder about them, not real strong but if you sit next to them closely you can smell it. Smells like dog poop.

Both girls coats are shabby, and very thin in areas. I think a lot had to do with there "gormet' diet, a colourful rabbit food with corn,sunflower seeds and other 'fun' things. I am weaning them over to areal rabbit food.

Mittens (the little grey) has a growth on her left side, it's quite long looks like a mole or even a nipple. And when petting her I can feel her spine more then I would any of my other rabbits. Also her coat feels soft except for a corse feeling outer hair.

Both girls are very sweet and curious of their new enviroment. Once they have settled in and I feel they are healthy they will be going in for their spay.

It breaks my heart seeing Ebony as she tryes to hop around, and they sways her head when she's sitting.
Is there anything I can give them extra for the dry skin and coat?

aaz.sized.jpg

aat.sized.jpg

aaf.sized.jpg

Well, I'm by far no expert, but could you rub a little bit of olive oil on the dry spots? I've used it on my own skin and it works really well on dry itchy skin, and I think it would be safe for bun if she licks it off.

Any one else have any suggestions?

And I'm sure once they are weaned onto the better food, there will be a huge improvement.

--Dawn

If it's just dry skin (no fur mites present)perhaps you could try giving her some ground flax seed. I was feeding that to Raph for a while and his skin problem seemed to get better.Also try brushing her coat out every day to stimulate the skin and bring out the natural oils, that might help...

Have you had the bunnies assessed by a vet? The swaying of the head could be neurological, and I'm wondering if there is something that can be done to help Ebony's leg. I know you said the previous owners had them vetted, but I'd be tempted to have them done again...or ask for the name of the vet who saw them, and speak to him/her about the results of the exam. The lack of flesh in some areas on their bodies could be from a poor diet in the past, and they might fill out very well once you've had them on a better one. Some rabbits - due to genetics - never do 'flesh out' as well as others.

They are both beautiful bunnies, but I think I'm in love with Ebony...what a sweet face! :inlove:

Bless you for taking them in!

It's possible she has mites, they do tend to cause more problems in rabbits with chronic problems. It would explain the thin spots in the fur of both girls, too. It would be a good idea to get them treated for that. If it turns out to definately be mites, you might want to talk to the vet about a monthly treatment like Revolution for Ebony to help control them better, since she's less able to keep herself clean.

If Ebony is very calm you could try bathing her, or wiping her with a wet cloth or baby wipe. Other than that, decent food should make a dramatic difference.

The head swaying might be "scanning," which is something rabbits with impaired vision do. It's more common with red eyed white rabbits, but others can do it too. It doesn't mean they're blind, just that they don't see as well as they should.

You might have already planned this, but when Mittens goes in for her spay see if they can remove the growth and do a biopsy to see what it is. You might be feeling her spine more because she has poor muscle tone. My foster boy had that problem too.Good food and exercise should improve that.

Most of your fosters problems have to do with being in such poor condition- a few months on a good pellet and hay, with access to clean fresh water should have them feeling much better. You can add black oil sunflower seeds or wheat germ oil to their pellets to help with the flaky skin if you are sure it isn't mites.

If the one with the back leg problem is using her other back leg normally, I'd be inclined to think the damage is within the injured leg or the pelvis on the side the bad leg is on. In my experience, spinal problems tend to affect both legs equally. It also could be a case of splay leg if she's been that way her whole life.

The head swaying is most likely scanning. It is seen in rabbits with red eyes, or eyes that have a ruby cast. Blue's can have the ruby cast-especially if they have chocolate in their backgrounds. Based on her picture, I'd say she does have the ruby cast to her eyes.

The strong smell is probably coming from their scent glands. If you clean the two glands out, the smell should go away.

Thank you everyone.
I thought the head swaying was 'scanning' as I have had red eyed gerbils who do this in the past.

I will make a list and make sure when they see the Vet everything is covered. I have the name and number of their last Vet, and suposably there are X-Rays of Ebony's leg and they were told they can't see a porblem.

I tryed brushing Ebony last night, she is not fond of it, and when picked up she shakes, both bunnies were never picked up before. I must say though they are much easier to pick up then some of my guys LOL
I will see what I can get for an natural oil suplement to put in their food. And will continue to try and brush them.

Both girls are really settling in, and when i go into their pen they come to greet me and mark me with their chins :)

Ebony's head swaying is most likely due to her other neurological problems and is not the same type of"scanning" that we see in rabbits with limited or no pigment in their eye. Does Ebony show any signs of nystigmus (rapid eye movement)? E cuniculi is a definite possibility. I've had some luck reversing symptoms with Ivomec. Anti-inflammatories as well as antibiotics may also be recommended by your veterinarian.

The flakes are most likely due to a mite infestation. Mite soften get worse when the animals immune system is fragile and the natural defenses don't keep the parasites in check.

The rabbits will need to be checked for worms.

I would recommend Nutri Cal to try to get the girls back on track. It's easily absorbed into the intestinal system and contains many nutrients.

There also may be the possibility of uterine tumors. Find a vet who is good at palpating (cheaper than ultra sound).

Thank you Pam.
I was told by a very Rabbit Savvey friend that the head swaying is most likely related to an organism, that her mother may have been a carrier of.
Whatever it is, hopefully the Vet can fully diagnose it.

She does not show any signs of nystigmus. She's actually very normal in every other way. The brushing has all ready done quite a bit to make their coats look al ot better.With Mites i would take it they would be itchy, and both have it.Mittens skin is fine, and neither buns are itchy.

Where do you getNutri Cal?I was thinking of giving them some acidopholis (sp) to help with gut flora.
They are eating Veggies now, and I gave them a choice between their pellets and mine, and they've been eating what my buns eat, so I'm slowly mixing that into their feed.

Their poops are improving a bit in size. Mittens is such a tiny bunny, i'm not sure how big her poops should be. They are smaller then peas right now. Ebonys have grown a bit bigger and look nicer.
They are also eating Timothy Hay now, as they were fed Alfalfa before.

These two bunnies are so friendly,and always run over to the bars of their pen when they see me walk into the room. They act like they have always been here which makes me happy.

Ebony & Mittens are SARS BCBunnies, and will be treated by their amazing Vet. He helped my Bobunny get through a nasty case of Stasis, so he's my best friend now LOL

Nutri Cal (for dogs and cats) can be purchased from pet stores or on-line.

Your friend was referring to the organism E cuniculi, which can cause neurological damage.

Pam

Latest posts

Back