Fostering a Boxing Bunny?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aBreeze

Reaction score
I am fostering a 4 year old neutered Holland Lop.

He has some territorial/aggression issues that need to be figured out before he can find a new home. I don't want to makes things worse.

He has had one owner for the past 4 years, they had to give him up for a move. A good friend of mine had him for a week, and then I took him on. I've had him for 5 days.

He was being kept in a cage like this, http://www.petco.com/product/106066/PETCO--Bi-Level-Small-Animal-Habitat.aspx?CoreCat=RabbitHPCagesHabitats He lived in their home, and would get let loose for a while everyday.

My friend kept him in her home, and did not turn him out. He would jump at her every time she would go in his cage. He never bit, or did anything truly bad but he definitely did not like anyone going in his cage.

He is kept in my horse barn at my house. I put him in a wire dog crate up off the ground. What he was in is just too dang small IMHO. I dont let him out every day, but close. He goes in a 12 x 12 room by himself. He doesn't do much. Yesterday when I was trying to clean his house he was getting aggressive. I was using a small hand sweeper to pick up loose hay and poo that didnt make it too the litter box. Everytime he jumped at me I would flip up the broom to smack him in the head. Is he smart enough to figure out cause and effect? lol He will also stand up on his back feet and "box" at you.

I became so annoyed with him yesterday, I put him in an outdoors hutch for a couple hours. Anything to throw him off his game.

Since he's not my bun, I am so afraid to make thing worse.

Do not smack him on the head with the broom, rabbit's are prey animals and do not respond to negative physical punishment. It will only teach him to be fearful. It can be challenging to get already spayed/neutered territorial rabbits to change their ways. A few things you can try:
  • Start petting his head, then gently hold his head down and do what you need to do. This is really only helpful when you only need one free hand, like removing a litter box or food bowl.
  • Clean his cage when he is having out time. He doesn't get worked up, you don't get frustrated. His new human may just need to accept his minor flaw.
  • Distract him with something positive that he loves, maybe some veggies or a little bit of pellet. Give him plenty of space and move in a slow non-threatening way.

:yeahthat: I'd also recommend that you read up on bunny behavior and treat him like an alpha rabbit would respond. Once he submits to you being the alpha life will be better. Cage aggression is fairly strait up--remove him from that area while your cleaning and it won't invoke the "mine" response.

If I go in to grab him he jumps at me, I always start by petting his face while he sits and growls at me. He doesn't get aggressive when I have a hold on him.

I don't want to come off like I'm harsh on him, I'm definitely not. Ill go read up on alpha bun behavior.

Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back