Foster Babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerigirl

Reaction score
Okay, here goes. I've never done a blog before because I am a horrible writer but I really want to share my adventures of fostering and all that goes with opening your hearts and home to buns in need.

My first rescue was several years ago when a family relative asked me to take their bunny. It was his daughter's rabbit and she was at her mom's more than with my cousin. He felt that the rabbit (a harlequin named Cinnamon) needed way more attention than he could give it. Of course I took Cin, telling my fiance that I would find him a forever home (Cin the bun not Chris my finace)
Well, Cinnamon stayed with us for 3 years before he found a new home. He was the sweetest lil bun who loved head rubs. Unfortunately he also sneezed all the time. At first the vet thought it was a cold or virus and we put him antibiotics and after several rounds and no difference, we realized that the sneezing was due to some sort of allergy. I never did find out what too though. He found his forever home to a nice family near me who used the same vet I did. Unfortunately within a year of being adopted he passed away.

Adopting Cinnamon out broke my sons heart. He loved that silly, sneezy rabbit and really hated the thought of him living else where. Now, about 4 years later after lots of discussions and conjoling my fiance, we are opening up our home and hearts again.
Today Petals and Magnum arrived at our door step around 3 pm and we love them already.

Petals
100_2587.jpg

Magnum
100_2586.jpg

Petals was found in the backyard of a woman in a neighboring city who, knowing she is a domestic, couldn't stand to leave Petals outside. Shortly after taking Petals in Sharon discovered that not only did she rescue a rabbit, she rescued a soon to be mommy bun. Petals had 3 kits and two were found new homes. Mr. Sharon decided that it was time to go so Sharon posted an ad on Craigslist inquiring about local rabbit rescues.
After seeing the add still up after a week I emailed her saying that I could take
both bunnies and find them new homes for her. And now I have these two beautiful buns in my kitchen.

Petals is shy and frightened. She is such a trooper though. She shook for about the first hour she was here, but otherwise was acting like a normal bun. She still doesn't want to come out of the cage, though she does think about it every once in a while. I am hoping that within the next few days she will be comfortable enough to venture out. I am also starting to suspect that she may be pregnant again. I am seeing lots of research in my near future if this is the case. Neither bun is fixed and they have been living together since Magnum was born in April.

Magnum on the other hand is the oposite of his momma. We opened the cage after they had been here for a few hours and Magnum hopped right out after about 5 minutes. He is a typical little boy. He was doing binky's pretty quickly which is a challenge because my kitchen is not very big and his nails are atrociously long. He explored every inch and even made tunnels of Damien and I. He is not trusting enough to let you pet him, not yet anyway, but he will make someone a great pet someday.
100_2586.jpg

100_2586.jpg

100_2589.jpg

I can't wait to see how these two change during their stay with us.

100_2600.jpg

Of course Melody isn't too thrilled with all the attention the newbies are getting but I did make sure to give him some extra love and pets today.

He is used to my mom's rabbits coming over when I bunny sit but this is new. He cannot see them unless he comes up to the kitchen gate which he rarely does, but he still knows they are there.

Okay, These two have been here almost a month and they keep me busy!
They each have a seperate house in my kitchen since Magnum isn't fixed yet and I try to let them run a little each day. I don't think I have ever had to sweep my floor as often as I do now. I should rename them Mud and Messy. It's okay though because I'd rather have them here than running around outside.
Petals gobbles up hay like crazy and does NOT like Melody. She is a sweetie who is curious about whats going on but likes to keep to herself. Anytime I am in the kitchen she comes to the side of her house to see what I am up to but backs just out of reach if anyone trys to scratch her head. Besides not liking Melody she barely tolerates Magnum when he is around and she stands at attention with her ears forward and nose stretched out whenever one of the cats walk into the kitchen. My orange tabby Ki, who was raised with rabbits, avoids Petals whenever he can. I have never seen him avoid anyone like he does Petals. He will walk around my kitchen against the stove and the fridge until he passes her. It's funny to watch but also interesting because Ki loves Magnum.
I had Magnum up on my bed the other night to run and play while I read a book when Ki tried to join us. As soon as he saw Mag though, he stopped until I invited him up too. Other than looking at Magnum, Ki didn't even bother with him until Mag hopped up to him. Then Ki did another thing I have not seen him do before, he head butted Magnum like he does me. A little while later he tried playing with Magnum. Ki tries to play with Melody too but I always discourage it because I am afraid he will hurt the rabbits.
Magnum is still into everything and always underfoot. He loves being around us and seeing what we are doing. He will also try to get into every little nook and cranny if I dont have things blocked off completely. Petals has a few hidey holes that she likes to hang out in while Magnum prefers to just play and explore.
These two have brought a lot of joy to our house as well as frustrations and new lessons. I really like being able to help them and hope to keep helping buns in the future.

Oh man am I in trouble. Magnum has figured out that he can jump up onto my couch. This little boy is a crazy bundle of energy!Yesterday he decided that he wanted up on the couch (I have seen him thinking about it fro awhile now). Well now I cant keep him off it! Damien was up there doing something and Magnum was climbing all over him and "helping" him. He is amazing. I have had him almost 2 months and he makes me laugh every day. He is so smart and curious. It only took me a few trys with the treats to get him to understand that "house" means play time is over and he comes when called by name and kisses/clucks.
I am so sad that he will be going to his furever home on Sunday. I am really happy for him and his new family but I hate the thought of giving him up. My dad is too. He has been trying to figure out how we can keep him with out my mom or Chris getting mad at us. Lol.

Well, Magnum is with his new family and my house is much quieter. No water bottle noises at 3 am. No crazy hopping around or chewing because someone wants out. No curious noses poking out of his cage to see what I am up to. If you can't tell, I miss Magnum's furry butt.
We drove 40 minutes south yesterday to meet up with his new mom. As soon as I opened the back door of my car, a little girl popped out of te other car and said Bunny! Bunny! Bunny! she was so excited to see Magnum. The little girl is about 9 and will be showing Magnum as a 4H bun. I am really glad that he has found a good home with someone who will love as much as we did.
Petals is still with us and I'm not sure that she knows what to make of Magnum being gone. This is the first time that mother and son have been seperated by more than a cage. She pokes her nose out at me but still does not like to be petted. I have not let her run since Mag left though so we will see how she reacts to his empty cage...

Here is a little update on Petals since Magnum was adopted. She has started to come out of her shell a little bit. Now she will let my son pet her while she is in her cage. With me she acts like she wants petted but as soon as I touch her she shakes her head and scrunches her neck in a bit. After a second she will think about it again but the result is always the same.
The other day I placed Petals in the carrier and took her with me when I picked up the kid from school. She rode in the car very well and even poked her head out when a friends daughter wanted to see her. After I picked up my son we went to my mom's house so that my dad could help me trim Petals' nails. I can trim Melody's on my own but am not ready to try doing Petals' even with her in a trance.
I let her out for bit before we trimmed her nail and my dad's buns were in their cage just checking Petals out. The male was very interested in her and wanted to make friend while the female completely ignored her. This was a huge thing since Sydney ( my dads female) dose not like Melody, nor did she like my other two before they passed away. After a bit we decided to open the door and let all three meet (big no no i know) Sonny played with Petals and mounted her a couple of times and she just let him. Sydney stil ignored Petals. I couldn't believe it! I think these three would work well together. Too bad Sonny and Sydney are old and Mom dosent want anymore buns. :( I cant wait to do play dates with these guys in the future.

How fantastic that you have opened up your home to foster!! I loved seeing the pics of magnum and petals. I have recently adopted a mini Rex and have fallen in love with the breed. I swear they are THE biggest jokesters in the bunny world ;)

That is great that magnum has a forever home. I will continue to follow how petals is doing. That is crazy that 3 buns got along! However, of course bonding 3 is a whole different story....lol...

It's been as busy here as I'm sure it has been for all of you. I thought I'd pop in and give you all an update on Miss Petals and share a few pictures.
Petals is way more friendly that she was a month ago. She still doesn't like her ears messed with and will tolerate her head and cheeks being pet as long as you dont push your luck. She will climb all over me when I am on the floor with her as long as I dont try to reach for her. She has also decided that the couch is one of her favorite places. She is a huge climber now. It doesn't matter if someone is on the couch or not. If she wants up there, you better prepare to have a rabbit in your lap at some point.
We had Thanksgiving dinner at my house this year so there was lots of commotion with my dad and Damien horsing around and the general noise caused by four extra people being the house. Petals did really well with all of it. I let her out to run until dinner was actually ready and she just ran around and played under the table. She even checked out my dad and let him mess with/ pet her. My dad is somewhat of a bunny whisperer so this didn't surprise me much. What did surprise me was that Chris, my fiance, decided to reach out and mess with her Sunday and she let him. She didn't even try to run off. Just hunkered down and waited for it. And then, if him messing with a bun was strange enough, he scooped her up and cuddled her for a bit. I was completely shocked! He tolerates my buns because he knows how much I love them but other than occsasionally getting down on their level when they are on their hind legs asking for attention , he does not mess with them. I was absolutly blown away.
After this, I have been thinking and have developed a theroy... I am wondering if whoever owned Petals first and ditched her in an urban neighborhood to fend for herslef, wasn't a female. We have had her for three months and Petals is just recently starting to warm up to me but has no problem with my guys.
Just a thought.
IMG_9881.jpg

Somebody doesn't like pictures taken....
IMG_9891.jpg

I also tortured the buns and took their christmas pictures. Believe it or not, I had no problems at all.
100_9662.jpg

And my little helper just had to have pics taken with his current fave.
100_9649.jpg

Nope, she doesn't like him at all. lol
100_9647.jpg

Cute pics!!! That's nice that your guy is warming up to the buns. Petals liking guys better, might just have to do with her being a girl rabbit. Who knows, rabbits are just funny about things sometimes :)

Well, in some respects we are making more progress with Petals and in some ways we are going backwards. :banghead
She is starting to show some agression towards her house and movement around her while out. Its not all the time but enough that it is starting to consern me.
While in her house she does not like my son reaching in. She has started to not quite lunge but its close. She never really does but she starts to and then checks herself.
She will also do this sometimes as you walk by her whaen she is out playing.
Last night I let her out because she was chewing on her litter box and laid on the couch. She kept hoping up on the couch and scratching at my blanket and crawling all over me.
She does stay long but always comes back a few minutes later. It's like she wants the companionship but doesnt know for sure. Everytime I would dose off, the little minx would hop up with me and wake me up. Brat. She is so funny too. some times when she hops up, you barely feel it and then others, it's like a rock was dropped on the couch with you.
I did see her stretch out and lay down for a few minutes last night. This is a first for her. She is so busy and high strung that she almost never lays down while out.
I am going to take this as a step forward but the lunging I'm not liking.

Larry, Petals is definitely a dominant bun. I'm not sure that having her spayed will help either. She does not like Melody and is not a cuddly bunny at all.

9 months have gone by and beautiful bun is still here. She has come a long way. She will sit in my lap and follow us all over house. I have taken her food dish away and replaced it with a two small treat balls. She loves them! It only takes her about 10 minutes to eat all the food but it makes her work for it. She will come running if you shake it and looks lost when I give her a dish instead.
I have had several inquiries for her. One lady was looking for an outside rabbit and when she heard that Petals loves being around us all the time she made the decision to let someone else adopt her. Not that I would have let her have Petals but I was glad that she made the decision herself. All other inquiries I have had never respond when I ask them for more info about themselves.
I'm not comlaining at all though. This little girl has grown on me. It will be a sad day when I have to give her to her new family.

P.S. She thinks shes the boss

Latest posts

Back