Forever home for bunny near Northwest Indiana

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D I Just can't stop looking at them; they are so cute together. Wish I had the room for more. :(
I hope you can find them a good home. ;)
baci

katt wrote:
justa note, i could be wrong, but girlie looks more like a young checkeredgiant then an english spot, she has what appears to be 2 big blops ofcolor instead of the flow of small dots that a spot has. . .also herear size is huge compared to her body size so i would think she isstill young with lots of growing to do!

could be wrong, but that is my thoughts

katie

Lots of growing to do. Oh my :D

She has already gotten much bigger since she first came to stay with us. Haha. She does have huge ears though.

I have some terrible news.

I came home from school this afternoon and I found Buns dead.

I have no idea what happened. He was fine yesterday and was alive this morning for the short time I saw him.

I really don't know what happened, but I am glad he did not go to a new home only to die unexpectadly.

I didn't have much time to sit and look at him really because I had to go to work.

My fiance is taking care of the body and he will most likely be burried by the time I get home tonight.

I am very upset. I can't even think of what to say...

I am so sorry, I am at a loss for words. Pleasekeep in mind that these things are sometimes out of our control and yougave him the best possible home and rescued him from a bad situationand giving him a happier place while he was still with you. Iknow you are grieving but I will pm you some linksbecause girlie will be grieving as well(since they are bonded). Thepics looked like they lived in the same cage. If he has not alreadyremoved the body there are some suggestions to help her thru it. Theyall grieve in different ways. I am pm ing the links.

Sending a great big hug to you both, you for the tremendous love youhave shown these guys and him for showing more love and compassiondespite his horrible allergies. Wish I lived closer I would come overand help. Definitely longer than 3hrs, Again I am very sorry. I hopeyou don't mind me going ahead and posting a request for other memberson Girlie. I can always delelte it later since you were unable toanswer my pm earlier.

sending our love and sympathy
baci , delilah and bella

you can go ahead and post as much about girle as needed. It is just important that she finds a good home.

I am so so so sorry to hear this.

I feel like I know the little guy and Im at a loss for words. Aseveryone else said, you gave him a wonderful loving home and dideverything you could for him. He was so lucky to have you, even if itwas for a short time.

I know you are going through a lot, but remember so is Girlie. Makesure to give her some extra love and affection if you are able.

Please keep us posted and we will continue to help you find a home for girlie, if you still want us to.

sending lots of love and prayers your way

-Haley

I let girlie run around the larger part of the house a bit today (supervised of course) so I decided to take a few pictures.

You may notice a lot of wires and other unsafe things laying around,but I was watching her carefully so she was safe! :bunnydance: Shedidn't sink her little rabbit teeth into anything.

Snooping around
girlie1.jpg

Trying to lift a sword
girlie2.jpg

She must've heard me calling her a fatty
girlie3.jpg

Running for her life from Godzilla
girlie4.jpg

Doing the exorcist thing while attempting to scratch the never endingitch on her back. I'm suprised she didn't spit up pea soup.
girlie5.jpg

Stopping to clean herself in a really uncomfortable looking place on the floor.
girlie7.jpg

Looking SUSPICIOUSLY cute!
girlie6.jpg

Wondering what my fiance is doing.
girlie8.jpg

Again choosing an uncomfortable place to sit around.
girlie9.jpg

Smartie the Rat, meet Girlie the Bunny
girlie10.jpg

A "who me?" look on her face
girlie11.jpg

Uh-Oh. Someone just knocked over some dog food! Who could it be? Surely not Girlie!
girlie12.jpg

Nope. Not her at all ;)
girlie13.jpg

Girlie looks so cute. Do you think shewould need another companion after buns or do you think she will befine by herself? How does she do when you let her run aroundis she bad at marking her territory, peeing ect.?So sorry to hear about buns. I know how bad I felt when Iwoke up one day to find my sons guinea pig had died. Ikept wondering if there was anything that i could do or if Ihad done anything wrong. Sometimes these things just happenand like it has been said before he was taken care of properly for hislast days.

I am suprised to say that Girlie didn't pee orpoo anywhere around the main part of the house. Buns wouldleave a pebble or 2 lying around,but none from girlie.

Also rabbits usually do better in pairs. She could probably get alongby herself for awhile, but I think she would prefer to be with anotherrabbit.

Also, I forgot to mention, if you have any other animals she doesn't seem to be afraid of anything.

You wouldn't have to worry about her flipping out in her cage if the dog comes near her or anything.

Love the new pics! She is such a gorgeous girl!

I think that with most rabbits, they do better in pairs. That beingsaid, many rabbits can lead happy and fulfilling lives by themselves,as long as their humans make an effort to spend a lot of time withthem. If you and your family were to pay a lot of attentionto her andallow her time to run around and explore and such,Im sure she would be fine by herself. You could always gether a mate later on if you feel she is lonesome.

What a good girl for not marking up the place! Usually they will do iton their first few ventures out around the house (especially if there'sother animals) so if she didnt, thats a really good sign!

Glad to hear that she has good litterboxhabits. Also good that she dosen't mind dogs. Ihave young beagle and I wondered if that would stress herout. Here is a picture of the rabbit from our local HumaneSociety. My son says he is sad because he dosen't have ahome. He is a big softy like his mommy.

redangel1300 wrote:
Glad to hear that she has good litterbox habits.Also good that she dosen't mind dogs. I have young beagle andI wondered if that would stress her out. Here is a picture ofthe rabbit from our local Humane Society. My son says he issad because he dosen't have a home. He is a big softy likehis mommy.

He is adorable!

My dog is good, so she doesn't mind when the rabbit is out. She used tobe a show dog so she has a good attention span. Hopping rabbits don'treally phase her much, though I still make sure to pay good attentionto her when she is out with the rabbit.

My fiance has a minpin and that thing yap yap yap yap yaaappps constantly and that still doesnt phase the rabbit at all.

I know beagles are notorious howlers, so I hope that info helps a bit.

Yes Girlie is definately a Blue Checkered Giant.:DSo by the time she's done growing she would be around 12pounds. She could be bigger or she could besmaller.

The other rabbit appears to be a Mini Lop and at full growth should be about6 pounds.

That's something to take into consideration if you are trying to decided which to adopt.

Adorable bunnies by the way! :D

Dwarf_Angel04 wrote:
by the time she's done growing she would be around12 pounds.

:shock::shock::shock:

Does anyone know how much checkered giants shed???

She hasnt shed any hair yet really. Buns always was full of hair no matter what I did and that is the BIG source of allergies.

Girlie has been sort of hard to catch lately! So when she is out make sure you have your running shoes on.

Wow a 12 lb. rabbit. I guess I neverknew they could grow to be so large. I don't really have anyinfo on the shelter bunny. I also doubt that he is neuteredwhich I hear w/ male rabbits is a must. He has been there fora week. He is fairly friendly came to the front of the cagewhen I talked to him but once he realized I had no food he went back tocowering in the corner. It is kind of sad. He is inwith the cats which are meowing constantly. :(

i have found that a full arch breed like acheckered giant, rhinelander, or english spot weight more then theylook. . .i think it is just their body posture. . .not sure.

if i wasn't leaving for college, and had a place for a 3rd rabbit iwould take her, checkereds are such a cool breed, and she is a blue ontop *smiles*. i would make sure she is being handled alot, becauserunning breeds need constand handling to make sure they don't get tospazzy in someones hands. . .

as far as shedding she should in not to long, she has her baby coatstill so that will need to go. . .but i think they shed just as much aany other rabbit.

she is so adorable!

Wow! Girlie is gorgeous! I would definitely takeher if I wasn't so far away. I also don't think my roommate would bethrilled about a 12 lb rabbit. Loki is a fatty right now! He's going ona diet! ;)

Back