For those who breed.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DMGBase019.jpg

DMGBase018.jpg

Lindsey, this is what I have in my living room. I know this is unusual set up for breeders who have many does at once but I am starting out real slow. And will only have Luna to breed. I want to make sure that I am doing right by my Girl and the new buns she brings into the World. I guess I'm not a big breeder, but it is what it is.

I know Wendy has a really good set up (temporary until she moves them to their permanent place) and you can see it in her blog. She has more does being bred because it's her lops and her daughters Cali's.

Hope this helps.

K:)

The three breeders I've been to have wired bottomed cages with trays on the bottom hooked up into a shed or barn. Usually the cages are stacked as they're hung.

Samara wrote:
The three breeders I've been to have wired bottomed cages with trays on the bottom hooked up into a shed or barn. Usually the cages are stacked as they're hung.

That's usually the case with large scale breeders (lots of kits). Like I stated, I'm not your usual breeder. Just starting out, just like Lindsey so my plan might not be the best for her. It depends where she will have them too. Outside or inside.

I have stacking cages and love them! I take trays out once a week, bleach and spray them down. My rabbits are in our garage, One side is empty that's were my X-pens are set up. They each get their tuns too come inside and run. Because i have too many to keep in the house :(
Oh and by the way they do each have toys and a litter box, they were in their cages one day before i took these pics.
OUTSIDEE009.jpg

OUTSIDEE008.jpg

OUTSIDEE122.jpg

Where did you get those stacking cages? They are neat, is there a way to remove the divider in the middle to make them larger?

I use stacking cages. Mine are in a stall for the moment, but we're re-doing the old milk house this spring. I bought these cages at Tractor Supply. You buy the cage, the trays, and the leg kits all separately. If I had known, it's cheaper to buy from Pointer Hill or Martin's. Much better wire, and cheaper in the long run.

Anyway, these were taken a few weeks ago. Here's the one side. Don't mind the old horse blankets...I had meant to toss them out last fall, but never got around to it. So I've been using them as cage covers, to keep the babies warm. LOL

420219_3490928037663_1405356771_3326598_697366627_n.jpg

And, as you can see here, they waste a LOT of hay. Most of it ends up in their trays, but at least they're never hungry. haha

419198_3490928637678_1405356771_3326600_415233380_n.jpg

Oh, when we got our first few rabbits, we were hanging the cages. But I hated it. They were peeing on my stall walls (hubby's not happy about that), the cages moved around when they hopped (I wasn't happy with that), and it limited the number of cages the stall would hold drastically (hubby doesn't want more rabbits, so he was happy...me, not so much. LOL).

wendymac wrote:
Oh, when we got our first few rabbits, we were hanging the cages. But I hated it. They were peeing on my stall walls (hubby's not happy about that), the cages moved around when they hopped (I wasn't happy with that), and it limited the number of cages the stall would hold drastically (hubby doesn't want more rabbits, so he was happy...me, not so much. LOL).
I agree! Hanging cages are a pain in the butt! In 2 days the walls were covered in pee! And it just looked dirty, dosent matter how much you clean it. lol
Also i use Closed cages for babies, as i had a baby get between the wires and get out,was dead by morning. Also had a coon get in one time and drag their legs their the bottoms, Was a horrible thing too find!

Got some good feedback Lindsey. Nice set ups and hopefully Woahlookitsme posts her pics so that you can see her set up.

If I was going that way, I'd do the stacking as well. I think they are more secure for the bunnies. Like others already stated, I would think hanging cages would move because bunnies move around their cages.

Wishing you luck on what you decide and hope you post pics!

I know it's not my place because I'm not a breeder but with wire bottoms, do you find injury to the feet often? How about deformed paws as they grow to adjust the pressure? I don't like wire bottoms but I know it's "economical" for people with many rabbits :/

I have used wire bottomed cages in the past and have never had problems. I always give them something to rest on though and always check their feet for sores. RoyalLions, I would get your rabbits a straw mat or something so that they don't have to be on the wire all the time.

I have never had a problem with wire. They usually have so much hay in their cage everyday they lay on that. I make sure my Lions have lots of hay for the fur ball issue.

I haven't had any problems, and my rabbits are some of the heaviest breeds out there. But they do have resting mats, and they always have hay to lay on, too.

The moms and babies have a wooden insert, so I can put shavings in. Once they're bigger, I'll remove the wood, though.

The French live in 30x30 cages currently, and the Cals in 24x24. But I'm slowly replacing those so it'll be 30x36 for the French and the Cals will move into the 30x30...and all the 24x24 cages will eventually hold Mini Siamese Satins (Kitty's) and Polish (mine).

Mine all get time out every day, for an hour or so, to stretch and hop.

That's the plan, and subject to change daily. LOL

Latest posts

Back