For owners who only feed hay and pellets....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afromation

Reaction score
My rabbits get one measured ounce of pellets for each pound of body weight.

They weigh about four pounds each, so they each get half a cup of pellets per day, plus unlimited hay and limited veggies.

As Laura mentioned, it is common practice tofeed approx. 1 oz. of feed per pound of body weight for the smallerbreeds (this does not apply to large rabbits which generally consumeabout 6-8 oz. of feed per day). A small dietary scale comesin handy for weighing portions of feed.

A small/med. rabbit will consume approx. 1/3 - 1/2 cup of pellets per day.

Each rabbit metabolizes its food differently, so amount must be adjusted to each individual to prevent over or under feeding.

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

i use the gravity feeder for petey's hay.. andheavy bowls or bowls that hook to the side of his cage for theirpellets...peapoo doesntlike havingherfood in the gravity feeders, but i think she's just picky:)

I don't measure the pellets. I giveboth bunnies unlimited water, hay and pellets all day long.If they get overweight, then I will start measuring. Nobodylimits my food intake. ;)

I also measure by weight. My two Netherlands getabout 1/4-1/3 cup of pellets a day. My Mini rex and holland lop getsabout 1/2 cup a day. This is also going by 1 oz per pound. Although Iuse this as a rule of thumb, Oreo my mini rex tends to get maybe alittle more then a 1/2 a cup. He's a hungry bunny and maintains a goodweight with a little more then a 1/2 cup a day.

I have used those type of feeders in the past. They do work reallywell. I never put more then the daily amount in them though. It wasjust easier to dump the pellets in with those.

Now I use heavy ceramic bowls for two of them, and the other two have plastic bowls that connect on the side of their cages.

i dont know how much pellets mine get either...ihave a scoop and im not sure how much it is, but they get three scoopsthat lasts them about a day:)

Bub is 9 lbs. and gets a tuna can full ofpellets.His bowl ispretty much always lickedclean.The little Hollands get half a tuna can or lessdepending on how much they leave over in the morning--if they're notfinishing it, I reduce the amount. However, Bub is so active that he'sbeen a bit underweight, so I think I'll increase by a small amountdaily until he shows a bit more roundness in the hindquarters.

I always used the "rib test" to tell if they were getting enough (canfeel ribs without a lot of pushing, but still not sticking out). Itworks great on some body types, but some of my past andpresentbucks (Bub included) have shown good rib coverage butseem a bit pinched in the rump. So I've noticed thatit's notalways accurate if the rabbit is of a body type that naturally carriesweight more in the chest and shoulders.

Also, rabbits with high metabolism or activity rate (or both) can showvery rapid changes depending on season, etc., so the amount of foodshould be updated as needed.

I avoid veggies in large quantities because of loose stools, but theydo get a few greens per day, especially in summer when treats grow ontrees (maple) and in the lawn (dandelion). Non-pesticide, of course.

Rose

i free feed my buns, they are pretty young , boogie will be 5 months old later on this month, and honey is almost 8 weeks old...

they like to eat the hay, lots of hay

pics are clickable to enlarge

*thinks*

I don't have the scoop handy, so I can'tdouble-check the measurement, but I'm pretty sure the rabbits get 1/3cup each every day (they're both around5 pounds)

Lissa wrote:
Idon't measure the pellets. I give both bunnies unlimitedwater, hay and pellets all day long. If they get overweight,then I will start measuring. Nobody limits my foodintake. ;)

Well, somebodySHOULD be limiting MY food intake.:embarrassed: (It sure ain't me). :no:

As for the bunnies, I don't measure, either, but everybunny's different.

Pipp's the only one who won't eat hay (and wouldn't you know it, she'sthe 'problem' bunny),so she was getting a mix of half pellets(she loved the cheap stuff), half veggies. But sheended up with urinary issues, so I've almost cut her off pelletsentirely in favour of a massive amount of mostly low-calciumveggies.However,her pee problem has nowcleared up (andI may add thatbunnies on amega-veggie diet sure dopee a lot! :shock:), butshealso has dental issues (which hay would also help), so we'll beincreasing her pellets a bit, but heavy on the high-fibreOxbow. It will still bejust a few teaspoonsful aday.

All the bunnies getamix of three different types ofpellets, btw, aside from the nutrients, and personal tastes (I foundthat even though they were hooked on just one brand, they'd eventuallyeat the other two and would even start liking them), the differentshapes and textures also help their teeth.

Neither of theshed bunnies (Darry and Dill) nor the fosterbun(Sherry) knew anything aboutveggies or hay, they seem to haveonly had pellets theirwhole life.

Radar has always been a hay junkie, and now so is Darry (his newgf).So as long as they continue to eat a LOT ofhay, they can have almost as many pellets as veggies as they want (inone setting), which works out to about a half to 2/3 cups a day (again,a mixture of different brands) shared. They get atleast acouple ofcups ofveggies aswell.They're a lot fatter than when I got them,butdefinitely not overweight. Theyarevery happy bunnies.:biggrin

Dill is eating hay, but no where near as much as Darry. Hestill loves his pellets. He's a skinny, hyper little thingwith only a marginal interest in food, so I'm not too concerned, eventhough he's a mini-Rex, and Rex's apparently tend to getfat.I'd like himtoeatmore hay, and he shares with Sherry now :( so he's only gettingprobably an eighth to a quartercup of pellets aday. Veggies don't agree with him, but he'll eat afew dandelion leaves or a couple of sprigs of parsley or cilantro.

Sherry? I can't figure her out. She's like Dill,she likes her pellets, and is eating a littlehay, just nottucking it away like the back room bunnies (Radar andDarry).She'll eat a very small bowl food of onlycertain veggies.She's a 'thick' little bunny, shecould be a little porker if I let her, so I'm limiting herpellets.Idon't think anybodyhad ever given hertreats, though,because shedoesn't seem to know how to take food from your hand, and she's anolder bunny.

So there's a lot more info than you wanted to know. :cool:

(Maybe I'll respost it in the bunny blog so I know where it is)

sas and the happy, well-fed gang (as above)

I feed Munchkin 1/4 cup of pellets about twice aday and a couple handfuls of hay daily as well as a totally full waterbottle that I replace the water daily. I used to fill up her feed bowlbut she started digging and dumping the majority of the pellets intothe bottom of her cage so I had to start limiting how much she gets perfeeding.

Munchkin's in very good shape, not too fat but not too skinny, and gets lots of exercise when I let her out in the living room.

Blyre

redestarrosa wrote:
i free feed my buns, they are pretty young , boogie will be5 months old later on this month, and honey is almost 8 weeks old...

I forgot to mention, I do free-feed the youngsters until they reach full growth. The amounts I gave were for adults.

Blyre, what breed of rabbit is in your avatar?

Rose

I don't measure.

I give Pebbles about 1/8 a cup of pelletsat night, with about 1 teaspoon of oats,about 4 pieces of alfalfa pellets, about4 pieces of sunflower seeds, about 2Papaya Tablets, about a handfulof T. Hay and about 4 strandsof Alfalfa Hay.... :D

In the morning, there is still food left over so I know Pebbles didn't over eat.

Rainbows! :)

rabbitgirl wrote:
redestarrosa wrote:
i freefeed my buns, they are pretty young , boogie will be 5 months old lateron this month, and honey is almost 8 weeks old...

I forgot to mention, I do free-feed the youngsters until they reach full growth. The amounts I gave were for adults.

Blyre, what breed of rabbit is in your avatar?

Rose
My Munchkin is a mix between Dwarf and Mini-Lop and just turned 12 weeks old today. She's my baby :)

Wallace "Blyre" Cass

Latest posts

Back