For new bun owners: Five things I didn't know about buns, but wished I had

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryAnne

Reaction score
1) Bunnies have extremely intricate digestive systems. They must have food constantly. If their digestive system shuts down, it

will likely never start again. If your bunny is having surgery, do NOT withhold food the night before. Inexperienced vet techs may

tell you to do this. Never ever forget to feed your bun and go to work.

2) Bunnies will eat the first round of poop, usually during the day. When in the wild, bunnies stay in the burrow all day. Since their

digestive system cannot tolerate stoppage of food (see 1 above), their bodies process the food a bit, and they have these special

poops that they then eat and process again. This gets them through the day. The poops are like a blackberry with little glossy round

clusters. You don’t see them very often of course, because your bun eats them. I wonder if he knows which type is coming out??

3) Bunnies need hay, moreso than pellets even. Hay keeps their digestive system happy, helps usher furballs through, and keeps

their back molar teeth smooth rather than sharp. Your bun should always have a pile of hay (timothy or alfalfa) available. It cost me

$330 to have my bun’s teeth ground down. Despite his crying, I will endeavor to give him fewer pellets and more hay.

4) Bunnies have a sense of humor, a devlish streak, and are easily bored. The combination is lethal. They are also very smart. The

moment I leave the bedroom door open, the bun tiptoes sneakily over there and under the bed. The problem with this is we have

a select comfort bed that has an air tube under it. I don’t want him to chew the air tube.

5) Which brings me to: Why do bunnies chew wires?? One book had a reason that made the most sense to me. Despite never

having been in a burrow, my bun apparently carries the clean gene. Bunnies in burrows chew on roots that invade their burrow. This

is their ‘housekeeping’ so to speak. Since I carry the clean gene myself, it’s hard for me to be reproachful about this. I just keep

the door closed, and use cord protector in the rooms that he frequents. (Duct taping cords to the baseboards works too).

Latest posts

Back