Foot Problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissy

Reaction score
Hi, I recently rescued an abandon rabbit my Aunty found roaming her front yard, she said that she had been seeing him for at least 2 weeks. I've haven't taken him to the vet yet but it doesn't seem like there's an emergency to it. Though this bun has settled in nicely and even flopped to his side and binkied he for some reason walks with his left foot slightly side ways, he puts pressure on it and I haven't found any kind of injury from inspecting him, he seems to act normal other then the way he lays in a loaf but the same foot slightly extended. I plan to have it checked out by a vet still but also wondering if this is normal? he is the first male rabbit I've owned too so I am not sure if some rabbits act different to others?

Photo shows how he sits in cage. Its not like my other buns- unless male buns sit different ?

Attachments

• foot.PNG
    foot.PNG
    506.3 KB · Views: 9
That isn't how a normal, healthy rabbit should sit.
If he's holding that foot out constantly, more often than just the occasional stretch or grooming, then that needs to be checked by a vet. It might be that he sprained his foot or tore a muscle, but we can't diagnose it for you. Go make an appointment at a savvy vet.
Rabbits don't have a "female" or "male" way of sitting, after all.

When my boy to started sitting and resting with one or both legs extended forward that was one of the first signs that something was off. Vet did x-rays and suspected athrosis in the hip, maybe caused by a fall. So I would have it checked if there is an not obvious injury or such.

Attachments

• Photo0167.jpg
    Photo0167.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 8
When my boy to started sitting and resting with one or both legs extended forward that was one of the first signs that something was off. Vet did x-rays and suspected athrosis in the hip, maybe caused by a fall. So I would have it checked if there is an not obvious injury or such.
Did you receive medication for it? how is he now because what i see in your images is how my bun is with one leg at the moment - my rabbit also looks young so im not sure if thats something for all ages?

I got pain meds and gave them for almost two years, but there was way more going on with my boy, some illness that gradually affected the spine, there wasn't much that could have been done. But the posture isn't a clear symptom, it could mean a lot of things, more likely an old or recent injury, only thing I can say that I would think about having it checked out.

Back