FOOD FOR YOUNG BUN

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Cabil

Reaction score
Hi! Been lurking here for quite a while and can you please enlighten me about the hay and pellets for my baby bun about 3 months of age.
I've seen these combos of hay and pellets, which one is the best for my baby bun.
Alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets? OR
Timothy hay and alfalfa pellet?

Thanks!

If your feeding alfalfa pellets then you don't need to feed alfalfa hay. With the high amounts of calcium in alfalfa, feeding both alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets can cause bladder sludge. I would do timothy hay and alfalfa pellets. After six months old I think that alfalfa pellets should be switched but wait and see what others say because I'm not 100% on it.

For pet rabbits I would give free fed(never let run out) good quality timothy hay or any rabbit safe grass hay(no mold, no toxic weeds), and good quality plain(no seeds or colorful bits) alfalfa pellet(with alfalfa being first on the ingredient list) free fed if no signs of mushy poop and also eating hay well( or less than free fed if develops mushy poop and/or isn't eating hay well), to babies(gradually increasing to free fed around 4 weeks old) and young rabbits, then gradually start reducing amount at 4-6 months old for small to medium breeds, 10-16 months for large breeds, to eventually be feeding 1/4-1/2 cup per 5 lbs of body weight. Then at 6-8 months for small/medium rabbits, 12-18 months large rabbits, gradually transition from alfalfa pellets to a good quality timothy or other grass based pellet.

When exactly to reduce pellet amounts and also when to transition to timothy pellets, will depend on the breed and each rabbits metabolism. If a growing rabbit is starting to look chunky, they probably need less pellets, if they are looking thin, they probably need more pellets(or could have a health issue). If they are having a lot of calcium sediment in their urine, for young rabbits they probably need less alfalfa pellets, or if almost fully matured then they are probably ready to be transitioned onto timothy/grass based pellet that has less calcium than alfalfa pellets. Each rabbits diet should be tailored to them, but this is generally how I would go about feeding.

For breeding does and bucks it would be a different diet than pet rabbits, as the does will need higher protein and calcium for nursing, and bucks will need higher protein. So generally they are fed alfalfa based pellets, approximately 1 oz per lb of body weight for bucks and non nursing does, and free fed for nursing does. I would also free feed timothy or other grass hay. But again this is just a general feeding suggestion, and will vary with each rabbit depending on breed, metabolism, and any other considerations like health issues and digestive problems.

Last edited:
Oh another question. Do i need to gradually transition my hay from alfalfa to timothy or I can just replace it totally. My baby bun's only eating the alfalfa hay for about a month only.

Switching straight over to timothy or any grass hay, is usually just fine. It rarely causes any digestive problems unless the hay is a very soft rich cut of that hay and/or the bun is extra sensitive. You just want to make sure it's good quality with no signs of mold(black or white spots, wetness, sour or musty smell, white dust coating hay).

The one problem you might have is getting your bun to want to switch to timothy hay. Rabbits tend to really like the taste of alfalfa over that of grass hay like timothy. So if they start out with alfalfa it can be difficult to get them to want to switch over to the timothy/grass hay. Which is one main reason I really dislike all these rabbit websites recommending feeding alfalfa hay in addition to alfalfa pellets, for young rabbits. So if your bun won't switch right over to the timothy hay, you may need to gradually change from alfalfa to the timothy by gradually decreasing the amount of alfalfa hay and increasing the amount of timothy hay over a few weeks time, to give your bun time to adjust to eating the new hay.

I'll be buying timothy as soon as i got out from work. The sooner my bun transition to timothy hay the sooner my bun will adjust to it I think. I'll try replacing my bun's hay with timothy hay totally to see my bun's reaction. Thanks for the reply!

Latest posts

Back