Food and Bonding With 8 Week Old

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texaschewy

Reaction score
Ok, I know that young rabbits need only pellets and hay and vegetables come when they are older. What do you use to get them use to your hand and possible petting if you have nothing enticing?

While they're young you need to be handling your young bunny every day. If they become used to it then you shouldn't need something enticing in your hand in order to pet them.

Some say don't handle them, wait for them to come to you then attempt petting them and eventually pick them up. Some say start handling them from day one so they will get used to you and trust you won't hurt them. I'm so confused.

Some say don't handle them, wait for them to come to you then attempt petting them and eventually pick them up. Some say start handling them from day one so they will get used to you and trust you won't hurt them. I'm so confused.

Doesn't make any sense to me not to handle them. Why have them as a pet if you're not supposed to handle them? Anyway, if you get them used to be handled when they're young it just makes it easier as they get older. There are times when you need to pick them up, turn them over and check nails, etc... The easier they are to handle the easier it is on you and the vet, if you ever have to take them in.

^^Could it be that the confusion has to do with the age of the rabbit?? I've gotten almost all of my rabbits from a rescue, so they were already adult (and fixed). I know it is recommended with these rabbits to let them come to you and establish trust that way. Forcing them to be held can actually be counter-productive and cause them to distrust their new owner.

My first rabbit, however, was a young one. (at the time I didn't even know rabbit rescues existed -- before computer days). I had read the House Rabbit Handbook in preparation and, as I recall, they also suggested the gentle approach. I did this with that rabbit, spending lots of time laying on the kitchen floor with the rabbit and allowing him to slowly get to know me. He was a sweetheart and when he was older, he would let me pick him up and hold him. so the slow method worked with that rabbit -- but that was my only experience with a young bunny.

I don't know. I've heard of people taking the more aggressive approach and handling their bunny a lot. Then that bunny resents it and learns to distrust humans. Maybe it just depends on the individual rabbit.

Honestly, I give my buck vegetables and what not and he's not quite four months, I haven't had any issues. Personally, I think as long as you don't overdo it, small pieces of veggies and fruit should be fine. Just move slowly, and if you're holding him and he wants down, put him down, it's the only way they will clue in you don't want to eat them because they are prey animals.

Lovelace will come right up on the bed and what not for bum scratches and treats, he's the most sociable bunny I've had, lol. I think I just got lucky with him though, lol. He loves his fruit loops.

Thank you everyone. Today I have put him in a smaller part of his cage. Picked him up and set him in my lap and pet him all over. Allowed him to sit in my lap while watching TV and talking on the phone. Placed him back in his cage to eat and rest. I then put him in a x-pen with me and let him hop around and pet him periodically. He has done really good. Kinda of like imprinting a foal to me. The repetition of touching him seems to decondition him from the fear. I started with his back and worked my way over his entire body, including his feet. Will let you know how things progress.

Latest posts

Back