Flystrike Preventions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunloves

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm very worried about flystrike. I've researched alot about flystrikes and how to prevent it but, what I am worried about the most is I realized there are already a few flies in my house. These flies are actually pretty small compared to common flies but it still worries me. Luckily, I still have only a few days of time before I will bring a new bunny home. Since I only have a a few days left, I will not be able to buy any sprays or treatments that can prevent the flystrike. Any ideas on what I should do? :dunno:

If your bunny is on a healthy diet which results in properly formed poops, your rabbit will have very minimal risk of flystrike. I had an outdoor rabbit for 6 years with no protection on the cage from flies, but since his poops were healthy, he was a low risk case. Fly strike is much more common in rabbits who have poop that gets stuck to their butt (usually associated with poor diet, or unsanitary conditions) or rabbits which have a constantly wet butt from urine. If you keep your rabbit's litter tray clean, and feed a healthy diet, your indoor bunny should have almost no chance of getting fly strike.

you can use some fly ribbons or other sticky stuff to catch the flies if you are not worried about moral aspect :)

I agree with Azerane. Flies are attracted to moist environments to lay their eggs. We've had rabbits outside for years and no one has ever had flystrike.

I also agree. I've had bunnies living outside for years and I've never had to deal with fly strike, even in summer when flies were bad :D

Just keep your bunny healthy and clean and make sure the cage is kept tidy too. If you are really that worried, you can hang up those sticky fly strips out of buns reach and there is even some plants that flies hate.

I have had my bunnies outside for 12 years and have never had a problem... In summer I use these fly catchers (they look like this but bigger) I use these on top of the cages out of buns reach!
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1439619322.772109.jpg

I also use a candle citrus thingie and it sits on the table near the buns but a fair way away :)

Good luck hope all goes well :)

great. let me see. I bought a trap that looks similar to the one you posted but I am cautious to use it. the package (FLIES - AWAY is the name) says the smell is rather strong so I just don't know if it's not going to disturb my rabbits and neighborhood birds (I would hate to find out that some birds had to leave their nests because they couldn't tolerate the smell of my new trap).
Is this what you use? does it smell really bad? does your the trap need to be installed about 45ft from the house or human gathering area?

My birds arnt bothered by it and one is hanging really close to my princess parrots cage! My rabbits don't mind it either although it isn't that close to there cage... it isn't that strong its just that you need to clean it out or buy a new one a couple of times in summer as a lot of flys get attracted to it and it gets very stinky once all the flys start dying in there! but other then that it docent really stink and has net hurt my rabbits,guinea pigs, birds, cats, dogs or frogs (their my outside pets). :)

Thanks for all your help. Most of your pet bunnies seems to be living outside. Are those fly traps safe to use indoors?

Back