Flynn's FHO

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flynn is doing fantastic! She's actually been standing up on the side of the cage when people come over and using both her legs to do it. Her leg still sticks out a bit of an angle, but I think that is going to be something permanent. Her incision is healing up nicely and we can see the beginnings of fur coming in.

We're bring her in for her check-up tomorrow, so I'll be sure to post what the vet says and post pics

Thanks so much for the update on Flynn. Absolutely thrilling to hear of her recovery has been going so smoothly. Can't wait to hear what the Vet has to say. Hoping all good news.

K :)

I don't have pics up yet, but just wanted to let you know for the check up, she was very pleased with how Flynn's progressing. There is no swelling anymore and she's using her foot very well. Her weight is a little down, but after what Flynn went through it is to be expected.

Will be posting pics later!

Oh my goodness. Amanda had Flynn out running around for a while today and she's just crazy. She's so full of energy and doing amazingly well with her recovery. Now to just keep her from hurting her other hip from her leaping and bounding all over the place!
:happyrabbit:

Wow, you go Flynn. So glad to hear she doing so well.

How can you get a bunny to relax when she feels so good! So glad to hear she's so excited.

For people who didn't see my other thread, we brought her to the vet because we thought she was bruising (Turns out it's just new hair, but it seriously looks like a bruise) and while that was good news, she has decided to start picking at her stitches. I knew we were too lucky with her leaving it completely alone...

I see a many long nights coming ahead, making sure she isn't chewing. I was thinking of getting an e-collar for her, but somehow, I don't think she's going to be impressed.

So so glad to hear that its' not bruising but her hair coming in.

Sorry to hear she's now playing with her stitches. Must be itchy for her because she's healing. Wishing you all the best stopping her from playing with the stitches.

So how's Flynn dealing with her stitches? Hope she's being a good girl. But can truly understand about how itchy it gets when healing.

Sorry, I didn't realise there had been posts on here!

Flynn has been doing FANTASTIC. Her hair is growing in nicely (Although it's mostly black for some reason... I wonder what she's going to look like with a black bum!) and her incision is almost completely healed. She's using a litter box now and jumping in and out like a fiend, so I guess she's doing well!

These are pics from a few days ago, so her hair is actually a bit longer now.

427591_3312748854032_1127468202_33237565_1475591603_n.jpg

422976_3312747894008_1127468202_33237563_955303006_n.jpg

This is just to add in cause it's cute. A while ago the breeder who had Flynn before sent me a pic of her at 3 weeks, so bloody cute!

429535_3199506023032_1127468202_33176890_1336901770_n.jpg

I'm so glad to see Flynn is doing so well. And absolutely LOVE her baby pic. She definitely was a cutie.

Her hair will come in black and will change as it grows. Rabbits hair turns color from base to tip. When the skin turned the darker color (thoughts of brusing) it was just the skin getting reading for hair growth.

I'm thrill Flynn did so well. Actually thrilled for both of you. Such a long hard journey and to see such good results. You must be so relieved.

Thanks Karen :) I'm so relieved it turned out so well. It seemed so hopeless there for a while, but at least if anyone on here has a bunny with a dislocated hip they'll say "Wow, at least I know this course of treatment is possible!"

I was just surprised it was black because when her hair grew in from her spay a few months ago it just grew in a gray color from what I remember, with some white around it. So it was a surprise to see it so dark!

Hi there Kipcha,

I just wanted to tell you how much your post meant to me. My bunny was diagnosed with a dislocated hip just on Wednesday and we were put into the decision of surgery, or not. We had no idea it was so serious, Floppy was limping and had hurt himself about 5 days ago and we had to make the decision quick.

I've googled and googled for rabbit FHO and there just isn't much info online. Most were about cats and dogs. Flynn was the only one that was so documented with the recovery period and all. We were just very scared we would be making the wrong choice for Floppy. We did read that he could be left alone and eventually in 3 weeks he wouldn't hurt so much, but he would never use that limb again.

Anyway after reading your post and watching your videos, we decided to go for it, but the whole way through we were still questioning ourselves and really worried. He just got out of the surgery about 5 hours ago, and he's awake and moving at least. He isn't eating yet so I wouldn't say he's out of the woods yet, crossing my fingers and knocking on wood. He's staying at the vet tonight and we really hope he will make a speedy recovery just like Flynn.

Hi there Kipcha,

I just wanted to tell you how much your post meant to me. My bunny was diagnosed with a dislocated hip just on Wednesday and we were put into the decision of surgery, or not. We had no idea it was so serious, Floppy was limping and had hurt himself about 5 days ago and we had to make the decision quick.

I've googled and googled for rabbit FHO and there just isn't much info online. Most were about cats and dogs. Flynn was the only one that was so documented with the recovery period and all. We were just very scared we would be making the wrong choice for Floppy. We did read that he could be left alone and eventually in 3 weeks he wouldn't hurt so much, but he would never use that limb again.

Anyway after reading your post and watching your videos, we decided to go for it, but the whole way through we were still questioning ourselves and really worried. He just got out of the surgery about 5 hours ago, and he's awake and moving at least. He isn't eating yet so I wouldn't say he's out of the woods yet, crossing my fingers and knocking on wood. He's staying at the vet tonight and we really hope he will make a speedy recovery just like Flynn.

Hi there,

I'm so glad to hear Flynn's thread made a difference for someone, one of the scarier things about going through with the surgery was that there just wasn't much info out there on rabbits having the surgery as you said, it made me very unsure about it all. I'm sending good thoughts and healing vibes to your Floppy, I know now it was the right decision for Flynn and I'm sure it will be the right thing for Floppy as well.

If it helps, Flynn is still doing amazing, you would never know what she went through other then her foot on the side without her hip does turn out just a little bit. Other then that she's healed amazingly well!

Keep me updated on Floppy!

Hi Kipcha,

I've viewed the progress of Flynn on youtube and showed them to my husband. She's so cute and so much more active than Floppy on her first few days after surgery. My hubby attributes that to Flynn being the equivalent of an "Olympic Jumper" and a "professional athlete", haha :)

Anyways, Floppy has been doing better, but he really hates taking his meds, even in the bunny burrito position. He kicks and struggles and after he's fed, he gives me the bunny butt and pouts for a good 20 minutes. His poop is about 1/3 his normal amount so we are still keeping an eye out and giving him critical care.

His leg is definitely more splayed out a little but we keep him confined most of the time and give him better grip by lining the cage with a towel. The one thing that really surprised me though, was when we re-introduced his bunny wife on day 7, he wasted no time in grabbing her and humping her (she's spayed)!!! We were really shocked O.O . His hips must really be feeling better.

Back