Flying rabbits????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alanna

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

You may remember Thumper and me- my beautiful little Tan in sunnySwitzerland! Well, we have to ask you experts some advice again. Itwould seem that it is time for us to leave Switzerland (we're moving toMalta) and I've been looking into all the information I can find abouttaking Thumper with us- how much it will cost to take him on the plane,what vaccinations etc he needs, his travelling conditions, etc etc. Butthere is one thing still really worrying me- is he going to handle it??Will the stress of the move just be too much for him and we'll arrivein Malta to find that our dear furry friend has left us for a lessstressful world??? I'm not at all one to just go abandoning pets theminute they become inconvenient but I think I would be forced to findhim a good home here rather than take him on the plane with us if Ithought the stress of it would kill him. Do any of you have anyexperience with this? We would be very grateful for your opinion as itmeans a lot to us. Thanks in advance,

Alanna, Cullum and Thumper*

Wow, that's an amazing story!! I just hope thatlittle Trixie readjusted ok afterwards and wasn't too traumatised! Iwonder if my little Thumper could be that brave... ? I would love tofind out if I could take him on board with me- I'm sure he'd feelsoooooooooo much better.

if you really love her i think you would takeher i dont think she would what to spend the rest of her life with awhole new family!!!!!!!! they might change her diet and what not, if iwere you in advance go to the airline and ask them if they allow petssome airlines dont they only let dogs, cats,birds etc..

i have a book her about how to take rabbits with you and stuff here:

TRAVEKUBG WITH YOUR RABBIT

IN GERNERAL , TRAVELING WITH YOUR RABBIT IS NOT A GOOD OPTION. ALL THECHANGES TRAVEL BRINGS ARE BERY STRESSFUL TO A RABBIT AND PREDISPOSE HIMTO ILLNESS. EVEN SOMETHING AS A DIFFERENCE IN THE DRINKING WATER CANMAKE YOUR RABBIT ILL, AND SHOULD YOUR RABBIT BECOME ILL WHILE YOU ARETRAVELING, IT MAY BE DIFFICULT TO FIND PREOPER CARE.

IF YOU ARE MOVING AND MUST TRAVEL WITH YOUR RABBIT,YOU WILL NEED THESE TIPS ON SAFE TRAVELING WITH YOUR RABBIT.

SEDATION- THEY SHOULD NEVER!!! BE SEDATED THEY MIGHT NOT WAKE UP!!!
CAR TRAVEL- DONT THINK YOUR TRAVELING BY CAR
CARRIERS- THEY NEED TO BE PUT IN CARRIERS ON A PLANE

IF YOU AIRLINE DOES NOT ACCEPT RABBITS TRY GOING WITH AN DIFFERENTAIRLINE OR ELSE THEY MIGHT HAVE TO PUT YOUR RABBIT IN THE LUGAGE PLACE,WHERE ITS COLD AND ALOT OF NOISE IT MADE WHEN LOADING AND UNLOADING THEPLANE.

this book it by karen gendron THE RABBIT HANDBOOK

try getting books that also tell you have to travel safely with your pet.

*blinks* Actually you should be able to haveyour rabbit with you on the plane as carry on. Any animal that can fitinto those carries approved by airlines (up to 5lbs or small enough)and can fit under your seat can come on as carry on. You just have tomake sure they stay in the carrier during the whole flight. They musthave water and food already in the carrier, and a way to potty (I guesspee pads?).

Many people fly with small dogs and cats (that can fit) so I don't seewhy rabbits can't if they are with you. Just call the airline and givethe weight of your rabbit and the type of carrier and say you want themas carry-on.

http://www.petfavors.com/sherpa.html

You just have to have a sign that says 'Live Animal' just incase yousit the bag down beside you and you don't want anyone messing with youranimal. Like say "Caution: Live Animal-Rabbit will bite is startled' orsomething. They have kits you can buy and have your vet info on hand ifsomething happens.

Thanks everyone for your answers! Well, it seemsthat Mr Thumpy-Bumper was destined to fly! I'm much encouraged byeveryone's stories (which is a good thing because I kept bursting intotears every time I thought I was going to have to say goodbye to him inSwitzerland!!). I rang our airline (Air Malta) and they said NO animalsin the cabin, so I guess he's just going to have to rough it in thehold- but they assured me that it's pressurised and heated, so I guessit's not too bad. I'm going to put a BIG sign on his cage saying "donot put me next to any dogs or cats please!!" and just hopethere's a Maltese bunny lover in there somewhere who knows what I'm onabout! The authorities say he doesn't need any shots or vet'scertificates but I'm booking him in anyway- you just never know whensomeone's going to have had a bad day and make your life difficult, andpieces of official looking paper always help these sorts of people.Thanks for your help everyone, and I'll keep you posted about how weget along in Malta- Thumpy's looking forward to working on his tan(hahahahhahahahha).

Make sure you call the airline and requestbringing your furry friend on board! Most airlines only allow 2-4animal carryons per flight and you should NEVER put a rabbit in thehold area where dogs and cats usually go. You can buy special cages forrabbits or other small animals that will fit under the seatatmost pet stores. I got mine from petco on sale for $15 dollars. Andmake sure to check ALL the rules for your airline for animal carryons.

Good luck and enjoy your trip! :D

Oh yes, Trixie's just fine. :) When we broughther home, and opened her carrier, she just hopped right on out,inspected her new cage, and wanted to come out a bit and hang out withme. She didn't seem traumatized AT ALL...so noworries! And this after being on a plane for about 10hrs!

It took a bit of time (about two months) for the two of us to getbonded, but I think that's only because she missed her mama.She's adjusted just fine, though...

So, don't worry, your baby will be just fine on a plane. Ican see how he would be calmer and happier about the whole transitionbeing in the front with you, though. :)

I'm sure your Thumper will be just fine, Hun. :)

Hugs to you both!!! :D:D:D

Rosie and the Girls :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Alanna wrote:
Wow, that's an amazingstory!! I just hope that little Trixie readjusted ok afterwards andwasn't too traumatised! I wonder if my little Thumper could be thatbrave... ? I would love to find out if I could take him on board withme- I'm sure he'd feel soooooooooo much better.

Back