Fly Strike and GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequin

Reaction score
My rabbit had a problem a few months ago where he had a hard time with his back legs and keeping clean, so he took antibiotics for a possible neurological issue. Last friday, he saw the vet as a general check up and was fine. On tuesday night we noticed he couldn't use his back legs at all, and found out he had maggots. We spent a long time cleaning him of them, took him to the vet wednesday and they did the same, gave us pain medicine and antibiotics. The vet said, and we found (and had to clear out) a hole that they were not sure where it went. Thursday we cleared more maggots, and since then we haven't seen any.

Ever since we took him from the vet, he had a rotten smell on his bottom. He is also clearly having GI stasis. Since Tuesday night he has pooped two very minuscule poops and some mucus. We have had to syringe feed water and critical care. He isn't eating and will only take so much syringe feeding. We have tried to massage his gut, and give him medicine to help GI stasis.

The vet wasn't available friday and at this point I am wondering what can be done for him. How long can a rabbit go without pooping?

Pooping can take a few days to come back after stasis.
What are you giving him? He needs something for pain, like Metacam, and something to help his gut to move like Reglan (Emeprid). I'm guessing you're feeding Critical Care.
Honestly, I don't really like the mucus thing. There is mucus sometimes when the guts begin to work again, but it can indicate that the guts stopped working too long and that bad bacteria is multiplying. It all depends on your rabbit general health : does he seem normal, bright eyed, cleaning himself and hopping around or does he seem worn out / depressed. If he doesn't look fine and / or doesn't want to eat much, I would try to see another vet very soon as your rabbit might need an injection or two (maybe of water to rehydrate the guts better).

Thank you for the response,

We just had him euthanized this morning. He was in a lot of pain and had completely given up. He was likely going to pass by tomorrow so we tried to help relieve some of that pain.

He was on meticam and something to help his gut move.

I'm so sorry to read that. Sometimes there is nothing we can do but help relieving their suffering. Rabbits are sadly pretty fragile animals.

Latest posts

Back