Flower peeing in food bowl

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Any ideas why my Flower would decide peeing in the food bowl was a good idea? I just don't understand it.

Thankfully, it's empty when she does it...but her box is clean, so I don't understand why she would do it. I've moved it further from the litterbox twice, so I don't think it's that she's letting her back end hang over the edge too far...

She's been doing it a bit more each time, and last night, I discovered a dish that had a whole PUDDLE of pee in it...:?

She's eating, pooping, drinking, peeing, etc. just fine (well, obviously peeing fine except for this new habit).

Any ideas?

Okay, that's a bit strange. I mean, I find poos in the food dishes, I even did with Miss Priss Ang;). Hmm, maybe move the box to where the dish is and see what happens? That is strange. Maybe she's trying to tell you something, mom, I don't like this food, this dish...?:?

She never peed in it when I had it back further in her cage...so maybe she doesn't like that it moved (even though she recently started the peeing, and only when there's either very little food left, or NONE at all...so I don't know if it's the food). The only problem with moving it back to where it was is that it's VERY hard to reach there. Maybe I'll re-glance at her setup...she does face a certain way in the box, and used to be able to reach it from her litterbox before, but now can't (because I had to move it due to her peeing), and it's now toward where her rear sits in the box, instead of her head.

Sorry, I hope all that makes sense...I'm REALLY tired from Mr. Hobbes keeping me up all night (and when it wasn't him, it was stomach trouble...ugh)...so I may not be making perfect sense...lol!

Anyway, yeah, I'll recheck out the layout, and see what I can do...

Good thinking, thanks! :D

Rosie*

Yeah, you make sense, lol. Try a couple things and see what happens. It could also be her changing and just being strange. I hope you figure it out. Keep us posted of course:).

Good Luck!

Grace will pee in her food bowl too. In her case this comes about when we hit a battle of wills. She will decide to be selective about what food she eats from the crappy course mix she insists on having so I will refuse to give her new food untill she has eaten all the stuff she has suddenly decided that she doesnt like; eventually she just pees in her bowl and I have to change it and she wins :?

Sounds like she is objecting to you moving her food dish. LOL. Misty used to pee in her food when she was younger and someone suggested that she was marking it, but I don't know... she eventually stopped.

My first guess when you said you moved her food dish, was that she was making it known that the new spot was not to her liking.

Nad

LOL, Nadia...that would certainly be a Flower thing to do...pee when you don't like where it's placed! LOL!!

Yeah, I'll see how I can rearrange things (i.e. doors) so I can reach the food bowl where it was before...:)

maherwoman wrote:
LOL, Nadia...that would certainly be a Flower thing to do...pee when you don't like where it's placed! LOL!!

Yeah, I'll see how I can rearrange things (i.e. doors) so I can reach the food bowl where it was before...:)

Yep, they are creatures that do not like change whatsoever. So anything that changes and you have issues, always go backwards and see how you can fix it, lol.:)

Try to remember, "they are creatures of habit, what did I change?";) That can sometimes get you on the track of how to fix it.

Funny you should mention this.......

I just was telling my parents (I didn't know they didn't know this until yesterday) that my horse, Dakota, stayed with my father inlaw for a few months last year. He has bolted buckets for their feed - 2 in each stall. They also have a water bucket and hay to eat either on a rack or on the clear spot of the flooring.

Dakota got mad when my Father inlaw wouldn't give him more grain or hay and would back up against the feed bucket and take a hefty poo!

My father inlaw said you could just see him doing it on purpose!

Maybe Flower is trying to tell you something ....... Pee on YOU! ;)

Hope is funny with his toiletting. If I have changed his litter tray and not put any poos in to remind him where to go, he will eat all his food and then use the bowl as the toilet. Maybe he thinks it's his terriotry and makes him feel safe.

Samdid it! Few weeks after bringing in a new bun. Every time. I think she was like "WHAT! They are not leaving?" Than after a bit she would stop.

She also did it when we moved things in her area. As I have said though she trully through tantrums when she didn't get her way.

My Vitto neverpees in his food bowl or anywhere else apart from his litter tray. However, myformer bunny, Pepe, who has passed away and who was an extremely territorial rabbit, used to pee in his food bowl to either show everybody this it belonged to him only (!) or to make a statement of disapproval on something I used to do wrong (according to his opinion!)during feeding. So, I guess it's both a territorial and a strong-headed behaviour, depending on the occasion...

Marietta

Hmm...interesting ideas, guys...

There has been some change...she's been doing it since Fiver came home. Could she (because she's not yet spayed) be trying to tell him there's a FEMALE downstairs? (His cage sits on top of hers.)

Hmm...:ponder:

Maybe she feels insecure and is protecting her eating area?

Lol Princess pees in her water bowl. I think it's her way of telling me it's empty and I should refill it before she does :p

I had a litter that all pee in the drip bowl under the water bottle. It's certainly easier to empty that than if they pee elsewhere.

Finally discovered that they don't poop in the food bowl on purpose. There always seems to be a couple pellets in the bowl. One day I saw that while running around they step on poop which accidently get flicked into the food bowl.

Bebe continues to pee and poop in her food bowl, so I put wood pellets and a screen in the bowl, and it became her regular litter box.

89g4d9z.jpg

You can see Bebe uses it more than her large litter box. :foreheadsmack:

Latest posts

Back