Florida Rabbit Owners, we need your help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellochicago

Reaction score
Hello, Fellow Floridians!

I'm a recent St. Petersburg transplant along with my Ava Lulu and Prince "Black Jack" Davey!

Miss Ava needs to be spayed (as she's going to be four and it's long overdue)! But I'm struggling to get prices or calls back from exotic pet doctors.

I've gotten two responses, both coming in around $450-$500 for initial checkup, surgery and final checkup. One also includes medicine.

Has anyone found any better pricing?
Does anyone have a trusted doctor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Ava Lu has been nesting like a mad woman! I don't want her to start showing any other signs of wanting to be a mommy bun (like false pregnancies) so urgency is great!

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!

That's an obscene amount of money for a desexing operation. Mind you, it's been a while since I've looked around at prices, but that sounds like much more than I'd expect.

Wish I could help you with vets/prices but can't unforunately.

I'm not from anywhere near you, but I can tell you that my area has similar costs. Gus's neuter was $70 for initial exam, $140 for mandatory bloodwork, $250 for neuter. Total: $460. Molly's was the same, but add in Metacam for $50. Total: $510.

I called every vet within a 1 hour radius. Some were cheaper, but most were about the same. If I were you, I'd search all vets in your area and call each one. "Do you handle exotics? No? Thanks"...next... "Do you handle exotics? How much for a spay? Thanks"... This took me at least 2 hours to call everyone in my area for quotes. I finally chose my vet because she was willing to get on the phone with me to answer my questions, while every other office spoke through the receptionist or a vet tech.

You could always try this while waiting for someone in your area to get back to you :)

Feel like traveling to Daytona Beach for a day? I can have your buns spayed/neutered for $65 each at our extremely rabbit savvy vet. Sorry I didn't see this and reply sooner. Please PM me if you would like more info about Gainesville Rabbit Rescue's low cost program.

Hey Chicago. I don't know if you have gotten her spayed yet or not but I live in St Petersburg. I found a totally awesome vet today. His name is Dr Cogley and the clinic name is bayou veterinary hospital in Pinellas park. He does free office visit for first time people that visit him. You should check him out. He is awesome with bunnies. I have one right now that is extremely sick and he spotted out right away what was wrong. I think he is reasonable on other things and works with you financially.

Christina already had Ava spayed at Ravenwood through Gainesville Rabbit Rescue's low-cost program, but can you post your vet's name and contact information for future reference.

The Humane Society of Broward county does spay/neuter on bunnies.

Females $75
Males $50

I'm in the process of scheduling an appointment!

Hello,
I know it might be a drive but Dr Geiler at East Side pet Hospital in Clermont is a highly skilled bunny vet and his cost for spaying is way lower than what you quoted. If I recall it was around $178-$200
And you get 3 days of Medicam for pain to take home. I always used Medicam a little longer though.
MM

Back