Flopsy Bun-Bun may be going into stasis :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahri22

Reaction score
He definitely did some poops yesterday, but when I swept up I thought there were less than usual. However, that could be because he was using the litter tray, so I didn't worry too much.

However, I got up in the night and saw that he hadn't eaten his pellets, which sent off alarm bells!

I offered him a bit of carrot to try and get him to eat something, but he ignored it, so I gave him a craisin because I figured something was better than nothing. He ate the craisin.

This morning, I managed to get him to eat a piece of pineapple (which the breeder told me I should give him occasionally) and another craisin. Have offered him pellets, grass and hay, which he has ignored.

I am thinking it's probably best to take him to the vet...but of course, I did that for Little Hoppy Hoppy and he died just hours after the vet's visit :(

What else could I try? Should I try a pellet slurry?? I have never seen tinned pumpkin in Australia, and I know some use that. I may try and give him a slurry on a spoon and see if he takes it (good luck me!). If I had a large syringe I could probably use it, but I don't think I do...

I don't know that it's a good idea to keep giving him craisins, even though they're the only thing he seems to want to eat. Is it better to just get him eating, or to make sure he's eating the right things???

How old is he? I would be pushing hay right now as much as you can. If he wont eat that, try a pellet slurry. You can try offering it to him on a spoon and if that wont work, use a syringe.I would avoid treats for now.

Also, is his belly hard to the touch? Is he acting lethargic? Im wondering if its stasis or gas..

What do the poops look like?

Definitely try and get him drinking, maybe some Pedialyte.And ease off on the treats in case you have to feed him a treat-laced slurry,maybe mixed with banana or something.

If you can wave a piece of parsely in his face, he may grab and eat that.

Does he seem uncomfortable? Pressing his tummy on the floor? Sitting hunched up in a corner?

(Sorry I missed this earlier!)

sas :?

He is hiding away, and isn't chasing the cats(which is his favourite pastime!) and he refuses to eat hay or a pellet slurry (off a spoon as I don't have a syringe). I tried to open his mouth to force it in but he was very resistant!

Anyway, I figured it might be gas so I massaged his belly, and he let me do that (he usually hates being held). But still wouldn't take any food :(

So, I talked to my husband and I decided we would call the vet rather than take any chances!

Good thinking! Oh, and if you ever need a syringe (and dont want to go to the vets) you can buy baby ones at the store. Maybe ask the vet for some extra just in case.

Definitely give himSimethicone, which is an ingredient inbaby gas drops (and adult, too, but baby is easiest to administer). Give him a full dropper full every hour for about three hours. And start right away, even before you leave for the vet, it can really really help and can't hurt.

Keep himmoving, the car ride may even help, the vibrations can break up gas bubbles.

And if you can get him drinking, great. Get the vet to show you how to feed him with a syringe.

Hope he's okay soon. You're wise to get him to the vetwhenit'sstill early, even if it isjustgas.

sas :pray:

Grr no luck with the vet :( I ring up 2 minutes after they closed, and got down the emergency out of hours number. I rang the number and it was wrong! I double checked, but I definitely rang the number they gave me.

So...I found a syringe and started trying to get some slurry into him.However, the bore of the syringe was a bit small and it wouldn't suck up the particles very well. However, I got some of the fluid into him and rubbed his belly.

He eventually struggled away, gave me feet flicks and then ran into the study where he chased the cat...so maybe he is feeling better??? I am going to be keeping a very close eye on him anyway!! He is now licking a belt buckle and chinning things...However, he still doesn't seem keen on eating...so I will periodically keep trying to get slurry into him and watch his behaviour!

Ooh! He just did a poop!! YAY! It looks a bit small...but still...

He also nibbled some paper, so I offered him some hay and pellets. I've yet to see if he'll eat them... fingers crossed!!

Pipp is amazing at coaching you through a gas attack if that's what this might be! I just hada similar situationwith one of my buns last night for the first time. I followed her instructions and by morning he was much better and in my situation I didnt end up even having to go to the vet. The simethicone was quite helpful. He had three doses and I massaged his stomach most of the night. If you can't get to the vet till tomorrow it might be worth trying that tonight? My guy finally started eating some lettuce this morning and his poops are returning slowly but surely. I hope your little one gets to feeling better. It's so sad to see them not feeling well.

I think I'll get some simethicone (not sure what it's called here in Australia, but I remember giving babies something called Infacol, and I'm thinking it might be the same thing...)

Okay, I just looked up Infacol and it's simethicone. The stupid thing is I had some at the end of last year and threw it away because I don't have babies anymore!! I had no idea it could help bunnies :(

Also, because we can't get canned pumpkin, could you actually cook some fresh pumpkin and give it to them??

Don't think it's worth trying to do the pumpkin thing, but when you get the gas meds, grab a little bottleof unflavoredPedialyte (or flavoured, if that's all there is),it may come in handy.

And if you're driving, take him with you in a carrier, it may help!

PS:And maybe some baby food, just in case. Don't know if they have pumpkin baby food,hmm... but a little banana or apple may come in handy in case you have tosyringe feed him.

(Oh, and if I didnt mention it already, keep him warm).

sas :)

cmh9023 wrote:
Pipp is amazing at coaching you through a gas attack if that's what this might be! I just hada similar situationwith one of my buns last night for the first time.
Gosh. :blushan:

I guess I should have just included the thread link and avoided repeating myself, huh. :rollseyes

Here it is:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=21294&forum_id=16

Hope it helps!

sas :)

Well, my husband has gone to get some simethicone, and I have managed to speak to the vet... For some reason,I dialled the right number before, but didn't get through to the right person (I triple checked...very strange!). She told me I could try paraffin oil in case he has an impaction, and lectade (which is pretty much the same as pedialyte), so I told hubby to pick up those as well...

Anyway, I just checked him (he's hiding under the desk) and he was eating some hay I'd given him!! I NEVER see him eat his hay!!

The paraffin oil is a bit controversial, the experts we rely on the most often here are concerned that the oil may coat a hair mass or blockage and not allow it to get hydrated, which is considered the best course of action.

Lots of liquids, high fibre foods (yay for hay!), tummy massages and exercise are more the norm.

He sounds like he's in pretty good shape so far. :)

sas

Well, last night he seemed overall happier. In fact, when he started sniffing around the cats again (he's not neutered yet and is a wee bit confused...he tries humping the cats!) I figured he was feeling better!

But, still, I've kept a good eye on him. He was quiet today and hid behind the desk or freezer a lot of the time, but that could also partly be because the kids are home...

He's still eating hay which is great!!

Hey ahri, I'm glad he's doing better, has he made a total recovery yet? Here's hoping.:)

I didn't want to start a new thread on this but I just wanted to ask,as my 12wk old has just gone into GI stasis, should I only beoffering him things like dandilion leaves and hay? I've got some stuff to syringe feed him, he's had an injection to try to stimulate him to poop and a painkiller/antibiotic shot. I just need to know what else is good to give him!

Thanks in advance and ahri I'm sorry to hijack your thread a bit...

This is actually a great topic for a new thread,I keep asking this question myself, but it's a grey area. (if you want to start one, I'll move my answer over).

For stasis, getting the bunny to eat anything is generally better than nothing. However, sudden diet changes and overloads ofproteins/carbs/sugars can upset the gut flora balance, so it's tricky, especially in a young rabbit.

People seem to have had great luck with pumpkin whether it's new or not.I know my vet suggested spiking Pipp's slurry with honey, and a lot of the meds are sweetened (although I don't know with what), so it couldn't be THAT bad in small amounts. Her favourite is oats, she'll eat them on her death bed, butshe's had problems with them before, so she can't have too many.I'll give her a few, but I'd rather syringe feed her the slurry.

I personally, treat-wise,stick with real fruit (watermelon for the water content, pineapple for it'smucus-busting properties, etc) and avoidcarbs (oats, seeds, etc), but ifyou're in the UK, a lot of the food there seems to be mixed with carb-heavy bits, anyway, so you'll have to play that by ear.

I'd say to try anything the bunny is used to is great, everything else, stick to small amounts.

Does he like the syringe stuff? (Is it Critical Care?). If that's his main diet at the moment, that's best,but limited additional safe 'treats' are still great to get him eating on his own again.

PS:Don't forget the importance of liquids/Pedialyte, exercise, tummy massages, etc.

Hope he's okay! :clover:

sas :pray:

(NOTE: Copiedto new thread)

Latest posts

Back