Flooring

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyBunny

Reaction score
What could I put on my floors that a bunny can play on that would be protective until the bunny has decent litter habits. I thought PUL or maybe some type of nylon fabric. I just need something to protect a rug from the bunny until he is a little older. Thanks!

It depends on the size of the area, but for an xpen size [4'x4'] a plastic tarp with edges weighted down works well except when the rabbit is a chewer. I then covered the tarp with flattened cardboard boxes.

I throw this in only cause its what I use, but its fairly heavy. I bought a rubber horse stall mat, 6ft by 4ft, weighs near 100lb, is heavy duty and fairly easy to clean. Can't really be chewed on and is actually quite comfortable to rest on (ive tried it myself).

Oh the horse stall mats are great! They're pretty comfortable to stand on too.
I agree with a tarp though, if a horse stall mat isn't something you're interested in.

I don't think I'd do PUL..it's a good idea but I don't honk I'd want to spend the money on PUL for the carpet. Fleece is pretty inexpensive and doesn't abs orb moisture either... I think it's cheaper.

This makes me giggle a little because PUL and fleece are both used for cloth diapering. Never would have thought that my knowledge in one area would transfer so well to another.

I will look into the horse stall mats when I go to get my bail of hay at the feed store :D

tarps are dirt cheap, you can get an 8'x10' at walmart for like $6. most chewers won't actually chew up a tarp (mine don't), though on very rare occasions there are bunnies who will.

Careful with the indoor/outdoor carpet. We had that in our sunroom and it caused hock sores (and one bad abscess) on my bunnies that lived there. Most of it is flat, hard, and abrasive -- all bad for bunny feet. I looked into the mats that go under office chairs, but they smelled atrociously of whatever vinyl they're made of and I couldn't see my bunnies breathing those fumes. I would guess the horse stall mats are made so they wouldn't offgas, since that's probably not good for horses either. Anyone know if a diehard rubberholic bunny could chew those?

Latest posts

Back