flooring question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winggx

Reaction score
I am planning to build a NIC cage for my bunny.
Is it a good idea to use plywood with a vinyl tile sticking on top?
If so, what plywood should I use?
I went to my local wood shop, and there are three kinds.
Maple, birch and oak....

By the way, why is pressure treated wood not recommended?
Is plywood pressure treated?

Thanks in advance!!

If the wood is covered up by the vinyl tile, it doesn't matter what kind of wood you use. If rabbits can chew the wood, the pressure-treated [which is essentially plywood, as far as I know] wood has chemicals that hold the plies together & the rabbit shouldn't be eating the chemicals.

Plywood is a glued together composite in layers. Pressure treating is a chemical compound added under to pressure and is very toxic even if covered over--fumes. The treatment is usually copper napthanate, or else something that is toxic to bugs and anything that might chew. We use tile and carpet to cover the floor or just tile and solid wood for the chewers. Never use cedar because of the phenols, but kiln dried pine is fine.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Plywood is a glued together composite in layers. Pressure treating is a chemical compound added under to pressure and is very toxic even if covered over--fumes. The treatment is usually copper napthanate, or else something that is toxic to bugs and anything that might chew. We use tile and carpet to cover the floor or just tile and solid wood for the chewers. Never use cedar because of the phenols, but kiln dried pine is fine.
so...does it mean that I should not use plywood for flooring?
Even covered with tiles?

I think Larry's saying that plywood & pressure treated are 2 different things & that you can use plywood but not pressure treated wood.

Back