Flooring in the NIC cages.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FallenRabbit wrote:
I'm thinking a male rabbit. But with a rabbit at that age isn't it just behavior and it will pass. BAD BEHAVIOR!
I know for females they may be cancer around the age of 3-4.

No. It won't pass. In fact, the spraying of urine can become an ingrained behavior if he is not neutered soon enough.

"The urine sprayed from intact male rabbits has a strong and quite unpleasant odor. Typically, spraying occurs on vertical surfaces such as walls, furniture and doorways and if allowed to continue, the behavior becomes ingrained and neutering won't help stop it. By neutering early in life or as soon as the bunny begins to spray, this behavior can be either eliminated or at least significantly reduced."

from http://www.petplace.com/small-mammals/why-should-you-spay-or-neuter-your-bunny/page1.aspx

:confused2:Sorry, this double posted,

:big wink:BTW, I so appreciate all the background research you've been doing and your willingness to be on this forum seeking more information. :goodjob

Let me tell you from experience. Spraying is disgusting and your mom will freak out if a bun sprays all over your walls! I freak out! I have my wall lined with cardboard right now because i never know when he'll strike lol.

It drives me INSANE! I have an appt for my male to get neutered on 8/15 and i really am praying his spraying didnt become ingrained.. i'd be so upset.

Blue eyes wrote:
FallenRabbit wrote:

I'm thinking a male rabbit. But with a rabbit at that age isn't it just behavior and it will pass. BAD BEHAVIOR!
I know for females they may be cancer around the age of 3-4.

No. It won't pass. In fact, the spraying of urine can become an ingrained behavior if he is not neutered soon enough.

"The urine sprayed from intact male rabbits has a strong and quite unpleasant odor. Typically, spraying occurs on vertical surfaces such as walls, furniture and doorways and if allowed to continue, the behavior becomes ingrained and neutering won't help stop it. By neutering early in life or as soon as the bunny begins to spray, this behavior can be either eliminated or at least significantly reduced."

from http://www.petplace.com/small-mammals/why-should-you-spay-or-neuter-your-bunny/page1.aspx
Oh..

Yes, i had to cut the linoleum to fit (and by that I mean my boyfriend because I'm scared of power tools).

And I second what others have said about adopting a rescue bun that is alrwady altered. With your parents as hesitant as they are, a baby bunnies potty habits will only increase those beliefs and I would hate for you to have to give up your bunny because of that. An altered, adult, litter trained bun is the perfect match for first time bunny owners, especially in your position.

Nelsons_Mom wrote:
Yes, i had to cut the linoleum to fit (and by that I mean my boyfriend because I'm scared of power tools).

And I second what others have said about adopting a rescue bun that is alrwady altered. With your parents as hesitant as they are, a baby bunnies potty habits will only increase those beliefs and I would hate for you to have to give up your bunny because of that. An altered, adult, litter trained bun is the perfect match for first time bunny owners, especially in your position.
Will they say if it is littertrained?

FallenRabbit wrote:
Nelsons_Mom wrote:

Will they say if it is littertrained?
Yes! In my experience with rescues, they will even tell you degrees of litter training (whether fully or mostly, etc).

Yes, they will say if they are littertrained.

If you go on petfinder, the bottom of a potential rabbit for you should say "spayed/neutered and housebroken"

Oh okay!
I was on petfinder and looking. The only thing i'm worried about with adopting from a rescue is that they will want to interview all my pets. I don't care if they interview my family just I don't want my dog running in the room and stuff. I posted an add on cregslist, just to see.

FallenRabbit wrote:
Oh okay!
I was on petfinder and looking. The only thing i'm worried about with adopting from a rescue is that they will want to interview all my pets. I don't care if they interview my family just I don't want my dog running in the room and stuff. I posted an add on cregslist, just to see.

Why would you be concerned about your dog? They adopt out to families with dogs. I have and have had dogs with my rabbits.

Oh, and did you go to the sandiegorabbits site?

Blue eyes wrote:
FallenRabbit wrote:
Oh okay!

Why would you be concerned about your dog? They adopt out to families with dogs. I have and have had dogs with my rabbits.

Oh, and did you go to the sandiegorabbits site?
Because my dog really likes smaller animals, but they dont like her too much. She is rough with them...

Yes i did.

FallenRabbit wrote:
I really like this rabbit:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22762347

I called the Society but they didn't anwser so I left them my information.

That is too funny. When I took a quick peek at their site, I clicked on one rabbit to see what info they provide. I happened to click on that one exact rabbit (Rascal) thinking he was so cute!

He sounds really sweet.

Be sure to let the rescue know you have a dog. Sometimes certain rabbits just get too stressed around a dog, but the rescue usually knows which ones are like that.

FallenRabbit wrote:
Because my dog really likes smaller animals, but they dont like her too much. She is rough with them...
Hopefully you can train her to be good. Our labradoodle would be all over our bunnies if I didn't teach him how to behave with the bunnies. Basically I had to teach him that the rabbits are part of the "pack." It was a process, but started the day the rabbits came home. I can explain in more detail when you're ready.

Blue eyes wrote:
FallenRabbit wrote:
I really like this rabbit:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22762347

I called the Society but they didn't anwser so I left them my information.

That is too funny. When I took a quick peek at their site, I clicked on one rabbit to see what info they provide. I happened to click on that one exact rabbit (Rascal) thinking he was so cute!

He sounds really sweet.

Be sure to let the rescue know you have a dog. Sometimes certain rabbits just get too stressed around a dog, but the rescue usually knows which ones are like that.
Ya on some of the other ones it will have a photo saying NO DOGS! But this one didnt have it so I guess the bunny is fine.

Blue eyes wrote:
FallenRabbit wrote:

Hopefully you can train her to be good. Our labradoodle would be all over our bunnies if I didn't teach him how to behave with the bunnies. Basically I had to teach him that the rabbits are part of the "pack." It was a process, but started the day the rabbits came home. I can explain in more detail when you're ready.
I have a parakeet (Pete) and my dog (Sophie) was not liking him at the beginning.. She was jealous of him. Now she likes him, she will go to the cage he is in and put her nose up to the bars. It is cool.

Probably not happening today, my family member is STILL here!
My mom is going somewhere with her friend around 6:30 in the morning ( a sports contest ) so I'm thinking of getting up at 6 A.M. to talk to her about it.

BTW I'm sorry about all the posts, trying to keep ya'll updated.. :lookaround

Latest posts

Back