Flooring help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilac

Reaction score
I keep my rabbit in an xpen, and I've tried several different types of flooring- fleece, but it was difficult to sweep poos and got yucky when my rabbit peed on it and missed the litter box, a tarp topped with paper, but it was messy and didn't last long, and a rug, but again it was messy and hard to clean. Ultimately I'm looking for something cheap, mostly waterproof, (for pee accidents) and sturdy. I like the look of rubber horse stall mats, but they're not cheap and I'm not sure if I could get my parents to let me buy them. What's a flooring type that is cheap and easy to clean that you would recommend?

Rolled vinyl or linoleum (with some texture so it's not too slippery). You can often get end rolls for cheap at Home Depot or Lowes type of stores. Just be sure that the edges are just beyond the pen edges so bunny can't get to them and chew them.
You can see a sample of this flooring on the bottom of this old cage:
1624928547862.png

I would definitely recommend textured linoleum. I’ve been using it for my rabbit’s flooring for quite a while and it works really nicely to sweep and mop. I have it just sitting on top of my carpet so that they can’t eat my carpet. their nails haven’t torn it and it’s completely waterproof obviously ;)

below you can sorta see what my bunny’s flooring looks like. I really love using linoleum, will never use anything else again. :D

Attachments

• 6F40CD1B-EE05-452C-B0FD-AF7AD208B844.jpeg
    6F40CD1B-EE05-452C-B0FD-AF7AD208B844.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 6
How heavy is rolled vinyl or linoleum going to be? I'm wanting something I can put over my wood flooring easily.

It would work well over wood flooring. Not sure exactly what you mean by how heavy would it be, but if you’re asking if it would slide, I don’t think it would.

If it did happen to move around a little, there is carpet/rug tape that is used to keep rugs in place and comes off the floor easily, I use it in my dog daycare so the dogs don’t slide the rug around and it works perfectly.

linoleum is really inexpensive too. I bought enough to cover almost an entire larger room for my bunnies and it was about 60$.

I’ve also used wall siding boards (not exactly sure what they’re called) as my rabbits pen flooring. However, rabbit pee does kinda stain it if it’s not wiped up right away and it’s not that textured.

Back