Flies Everywhere!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peapoo_bunny

Reaction score
ok so heres whats been going on .. last wk istarted seeing a few flies in the house... figured they justgot in from outside...no big deal... now this wk there are lotsofflies coming from nowhere... could this have anything to dowith the bunnies? their litter is changed frequently and their roomisnt very dirty... everythings the same as it always has beennothings changed (except the flies) ... what couldbe causing this and whats the best thing to do about it?:?

It's very unlikely to be the bunnies, but you do have a food source somewhere.

Maybe there's a leftover chunk of garbage in behind something, or (ugh)something died in your wall, but there's somethingthere.It's tough, but try andwatch wherethe flies are going. And check out the house top to bottom.

And just to make sure, keep the bunnies brushed and everything squeakyclean, although if the bunnies are healthy and can properly cleanthemselves, they should be okay.

Good luck!

sas

Late fall is the worst time for householdflies. They seem to be on a mission to procreate before thefall freeze. We have now had several freezemornings in a row and the flies are GONE:elephant:. If youhaven't had a hard freeze it might just be the late fall flyfest. Otherwise, I agree with the otherposter, look for potatoes, or anything else that might make a mediumfor breeding flies!

we have checked the whole house over and canfind nothing... everything has been cleaned out and nothing rotten wasfound... the only thing i can think of are the plants.. i read onlinethat flies will hatch from household plants.. weve hadall theelephant ear plants inside for the winter for about 3monthsnow

They are probably cluster flies. Whenwe had first moved in our house, some of the siding was loose and theseflies tried to nest under it. Fixing the siding eliminatedthe flies.

http://www.pestproducts.com/clusterfly.htm

The article explains they can enter a house through very smallopenings. To be safe, it would be better to eliminate theopenings rather than use insecticide inside. Pyrethrinsshould be ok for outside away from the bunnies.

More on pyrethrins ( a botanical)http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/pyrethri.htm

When flies get in my house, I break out thevacuum cleaner. It's safe, although it can be a bit time-consuming, andgood exercise as well (fly-vacuuming is also a great diversion forlittle siblings "here. go chase flies. have fun."). Another thing youmight try are the sticky fly-paper rolls you can find at the feedstore. They're pesticide free, but the downside is they'll stick toanything, including walls, pets, furniture and you.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but a greatway to help prevent flystrike would be to add vanilla extract (naturalor imitation) to the bun(s) water. I add 1cc per32oz. :)

The vanilla takes away from the ammonia content in their urine, thushaving a much slimmer chance of attracting the flies. :)

thanks maherwoman... ill put some in their water tonight...

as far as getting rid of the flies in the house thats not a problemsince we have poofy(american toad) .. she's loving the flies...we beencatching themand giving them to her...i actuallyhavent seen any flies today..weird

Latest posts

Back