flemish giant cage size is this ok ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbit1

Reaction score
ok quality cage company is having a flemish giant size cage being put in to production a person from the company said it is It is 48" wide x 30" deep x 27" tall. two questions i have are : would this be big enough for full grown flemish ?even though if i get one it would be a baby. finally is the quality good as they say it is ? any feedback on there cages would be nice. i am new so i will introduce my self my name is macaulay i live in central mass. i currently have a caged but friendly budgie named rosie even though i found out that he is a she and i have a puggle beagle and pug cross named giannia. the rabbit will have playtime in a excesie pen in my room and when i play with her the dog will not be allowed in my room and my bird will be caged while the bunnie is playing

I personally wouldn't put a netherland dwarf in a cage that size, I don't think. However the UK have different standards from the US, and having buns in smaller cages might be ok over there. I would say you need a much bigger space for a giant. Sorry.

I wasn't thinking about measurements because I tend to convert and work in both, I just meant that in the UK rabbits are pets but often in the US I believe they are still livestock and thus treated differently in the different countries :)

If it is going to have run time, the cage doesn't have to be that huge. I have raised Flemish, 40" x 40" is ok-so long as it's getting good run time every day. Flemish are wonderful rabbits, I really miss having them.

Flashy wrote:
I wasn't thinking about measurements because I tend to convert and work in both, I just meant that in the UK rabbits are pets but often in the US I believe they are still livestock and thus treated differently in the different countries :)

Umm, I dont think the above post was meant in a mean way either lol ;)
To be honest, I have seen flemish in 72"x48" cages and always thought it was pretty small for them!, would it not be possible to rabbit-proof a room (or even a few rooms ;) ) and have him/her free roam? IMO there is nothing better then a free roaming rabbit :p . I would be looking at nothing smaller then a 36"x96"x24" cage for a flemish giant (or is that me being OTT? :? ). How long would you be looking at giving out time for?

so this i a good size cage then ? the price is 156 shipped to my address not bad of a price i might add. i might buy it after i do some parent covencing.

i would do free roam but my dog im not so sure of her reaction with a rabbit but would feelmuch safer in a cage with peace of mind here are the hours i am looking at

after school around 2:30 till 4:30. unless i have mcas tutoring which is not happening till january so when i have mcas tutoring the rabbit will be having playtime from 3:45 till 5:30 same thing on tuesday becuase i have knitting club. is this enough playtime during the weekday mon though friday ? the weekends will be from 3:30 till 5:30satuday and sunday.:biggrin2:

Not sure who said I meant it in a mean way, but no, it wasn't meant to be mean. Form what I have seen, its ok for cages to be smaller over there. Over here a small netherland dwarf would be rehomed in nothing smaller than 6ft by 2.6ft area of permanent access, and bigger breeds have to have bigger, that's all. There are lots of differences between the countries, like you generally have better vets, lol, your breeds differ from ours, its just the way it is. I'm sorry if anyone thought it was mean, that was not how it was intended, but can see how it might be taken that way.

I really need a measuring tape.

One of the main things to be concerned about is that the rabbit can stand up to its full height. In a cage 27" high a Flemish Giant can stand up (although not extend it's ears). I'm glad to hear that you will be letting him out to get exercise each day, as while that cage is a little smaller than the hutches that we keep our rabbitry Flemish Giants in, it is still adequate in size for him to move around and keep a separate corner for defecating and sleeping, etc. Let him be out to exercise for at least 1 hour each day, preferably 2-3, and interact with him when he is out to play. That is the best part. Love the dickens out of him. FLemish Giants are great!

I, personally, think the cage is too small for a Flemish Giant. I would go with a NIC cage, it will cost you like $50 to make and it will be MUCH larger.

a thing i might suggest is making a cage out of those Neat Idea Cubes or NIC as we call them here. there is a thread in the photo phillies section.

that way you can make it as big as you want, and it will be a LOT cheaper than this cage you are looking at.

when i was fostering a flemmie, he was in a 2x4 NIC pen, and had at least five hours of run time a day.

I think that if you were to put an exercise pen around the cage during the day and he could go in and out of his cage all day but still be in the confinement of the ex. pen, then that cage size would be ok.

If that won't work, then I like what everyone else suggested, building a NIC cage, much cheaper & you can build it however big you want and it could be two to three stories, even.

I have English Lops in cages thatare 4' (long)x 2 1/2' (wide) (not sure how tall one is, the other is 2 1/2 feet, the other is shorter than that) and that's fine for them, because they have lots of space and they both get out some mornings and evenings to run.

Emily

thanks for the input. i am thinking of putting that cage on a table with a exersize pen around the table on the ground. a nic cage is good but its just my dog and a small kind of space. sorry im responding so late i lost power and it may not be back on till moday so i am at my dad's

wabbit1 wrote:
thanks for the input. i am thinking of putting that cage on a table with a exersize pen around the table on the ground. a nic cage is good but its just my dog and a small kind of space. sorry im responding so late i lost power and it may not be back on till moday so i am at my dad's
Are you building a ramp or something to the ground?

Maybe your bunny and doggy will get along eventually :) I don't even know how big of a cage a Flemmie would need, honestly. I would almost say just to treat it like a cat and let it have a room to roam around, at the very least. I have Nethie in a 36"x24" (roughly) cage. He's only in there at night, keep in mind. That cage is way too small for him, and he's only 1/4 of the size of a Flemmie.

Latest posts

Back