Flemish Giant breeding +1 year

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

didsd

Reaction score
Hi, this is the first time I have posted so apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I have a Flemish Giant Buck and am looking at breeding. I have been offered a 14 month old doe that has never bred before. I am not an expert but doing the research, I have read that does have to have given birth before a year or the pelvis will fuse and they cant give birth naturally.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks for your help

I moved this over to the Rabbitry for you. Breeders will have an easier time finding this thread here.

As far as I know, Flemish's take so long to mature, that at 14 months she should be okay for her first breeding.

We have a couple of Flemish breeders here, so hopefully they will be along shortly to help you.

-Dawn

Erin is right, all pelvic bones fuse, despite when you breed them.

However, you do still generally want to breed does for the first time before 1 year old. With a Flemish, you may be able to go slightly longer, only because they take a little bit longer to mature. I'd breed her as soon as possible, but know that it may or may not work out.

Hey, I was on a site before on google and it said does must be bred before 1year old and after 8 months or something.

Maybe you should google it because this was an experienced breeder who posted the information

Thanks for all the advice. Related to this question though, if I did get the doe both of my rabbits are loose in the house all day long. Does this matter as the Buck will obviously be trying to continually mate with the Doe?

I figured that it may be as obviosuly this would occur in nature but I am interested in any advice

Thanks again

it is suggested to keep the buck and doe seperated after birth. as the doe can get prego again shortly after giving birth and then it doubles up on litters and causes massive stress tothe doeand possible issues to the kits.

also, i have known does that get extremly moody when prego or with a litter. they don't want bucks near them. so you would also risk injury or fighting

14 months is not too late for a first breeding with a Flemish Giant. As previously stated, don't let it go too much longer. Breed her, and after 2 weeks, give her a seperate area from the buck. She could get violent towards him if she considers him a threat to her upcoming litter.

Also as mentioned, she can get pregnant again, THE DAY SHE KINDLES (delivers) THE LITTER. Flemish babies should not be weaned until they are 8 weeks old. If she gets pregnant immediately after the delivery, you will be forced to wean the first litter at 4 weeks of age, which can affect their growth and size. (She can not nurse both litters and she may try to kill the first one to make way for the second litter.) Also, back to back litters is not good for the doe. It leaves her open to numerous problems.

Back