Flemish Giant bonding - Spayed with non-neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

didsd

Reaction score
Hi, I have an un-neutered male thats is about 7 months old and I was waiting a few more months to have him fixed. I have the opportunity to get an older spayed female that needs a new home.

As she needs a new home, I wanted to see if it is a good idea to get her and try bonding as I think the ideal scenario is for them both to be fixed?

Any advice is appreciated

I think the ideal situation is always to have both bunnies fixed. The un-neutered male will probably want to mate and will spend all his time humping the female, which she will probably not appreciate ;-)

However, I don't think it would hurt to introduce them and see how it goes. If there is any sign of fighting or not getting along I would separate them until after the neuter, but if your boy can keep his hormones under control they might along tolerably well. Can't hurt to try.

I had a similar situation except my girl is a minilop (or a holland lop, I still don't know). Riley (the boy) was neutered but only a couple days before I got him. He was very aggressive (not mean, just humping and chasing) and pancake was really scared of him. They didn't fight so I let them have supervised time together. After a while his hormones settled down and they like each other now. If Riley hadn't been neutered I don't think it would have worked out.

I have a neutered male Netherland Dwarf and an unspayed female Lionhead mix. They get along and are bonded, this happened before my male got neutered as they were about 3 and 4 months.

Last year Sweetie, my female unspayed, and Prince, my male neutered, had a fight. Both are fine. After they had the fight I vowed that I would get Sweetie spayed when I had the money. That will be next month. My rabbits bonded before I even got the male neutered.

I would get the male neutered as soon as you can. Also watch the two rabbits for any fighting, if there is any fighting you'll have to break it up, because he may be able to injure her seriously.

I am having to watch my rabbits because Sweetie is not fixed and her aggression could get bad and she could hurt Prince really bad. After next month I will be able to let them play in their area without much supervision.

But yeah, I would get the male fixed to reduce the chance of injury to the female. After they are fixed their aggression goes down as well as the hormones.

I think there is no harm in introducing them as long as you supervise carefully and intervene when necessary, but it's not too likely they will bond harmoniously until he's neutered because like others have stated, he will probably constantly try to mate and drive her crazy.

Back