Flemish Fever

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to add something to my post above.

I do not encourage other folks to let their rabbits out unattended. When my does are out in the exercise pen, I am there with them.

But in Tiny's case - since he is 18 pounds and likes to sleep in the shade (he's actually made a little burrow in the garden area that the dog likes to sleep in too)...I do allow him outside unattended. However, when he's outside - my back door is always open and I have the baby gate up so I can see out there. If he wants to come in - he will come to the baby gate and shake it - and I let him in the house.

I'm also outside about 10-20 times anyway - just checking on him. Usually he lifts his head and looks at me like, "Can I go back to sleep now?" and I know he's ok.

But we have a 6' high fence with concrete underneath. We check both gates daily before putting him out to make sure they're locked - and we walk the fence at least once a week to see if anything needs to be replaced...like if he's chewed on the wood or something. So far - he hasn't tried to get out...he's too happy just being in the yard.

In our case - we deliberately bought this house partly for the yard....so he could play outside since he hates a leash.

But I wouldn't recommend others leave their rabbits outside un attendedunless they had a very safe situation like this - and even then - it would have to be a large rabbit like Tiny....(and in his case - Lad your dog is usually outside with him and would bark if anyone came near the yard).

Peg

Linz_1987 wrote:
I love flemish's! I want to get one when i get a place of my own.

But two questions:

1) Why would you want to carry 17+lbs around the house!

and

2) How do you take them to the trip to the vets? Surely there isn't a pet carrier large enough, and surely you wouldn't even attempt to lift it!? .... Or do you just take them in on a lead?

To answer your questions:
1)Why not? 17 pounds isn't that much-try carting around a 26 pound toddler!

2) Yes, they DO make carriers that big, the rabbit supply company I order from makes carriers specifically for Flemish. The carrier doesn't weight that much itself, maybe a couple of pounds, so you use put padded handles on the carrier and there you go! It is a big load, but not that big. Of course, I'm a farm girl, used to hauling 50 pound feed sacks around on my back, so maybe my perspective is different from others, LOL! I've never tried using a lead on any of my bunnies, but I am used to hauling around Flemish, I raise them. I hope to get into showing them this year, too.

This is one of the cutest pictures I've ever seen!!

05-31-05.jpg

This thread needs more pictures and stories and bits of advice! And what the heck was with the brimmhere attack?! Oh well, it was more than 3 years ago...

Did someone ask for FLEMISH pictures? Happy to oblige....

Nova, sweet girl...
nova6.jpg

3 month old boy...
3months6.jpg

My Beauty and her firstlitter of babies...
beautylitter2.jpg

Armfull of LOVE...10 week old babies.... (Zeus Jr. and siblings)
ArmfulofLove2.jpg

Blue Flemish Baby @ 6 weeks old... Turner... (now a5 month old boy with ATTITUDE!)
6weeksboy1.jpg

:blushan: I had to make a decision and part with him. He moved into a huge house (with his own room), with a very nice couple. I suddenly had too many boys and he wouldn't have gotten the attention he deserved. I kept his sister, Mojave.

I know they are very happy with him. He is a real love bug.

I am going to be getting a flemish giant at the end of this month when he/she is about 8 weeks old. How big should I expect the babe to be?
Also what sex does everyone here think is better for the love bug personality?:bunnyheart

I have always love FGs, and have considered getting one for a pet. I've found a few breeders close by and have been tempted, but we've already reached our limit for critters at our current house. As soon as we get out to the country though...

Latest posts

Back