Flemish breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jil101ca

Reaction score
My flemish still has not had a litter. Just tobring you up to speed she isjust over1 and had 1litter of 8.4 froze as she didn't cover them and the other 4she killed when a stray dog came in the yard back in Feb. Someone toldme that it is too late to breed her now as she will have to much fataround her ovaries. She is a big girl but has lots of loose skin aroundher neck and after re-weighing her she is 15 1/2 lbs. I think she isjust being stubborn and not wanting to. Any thoughts on this?

I don't think I would say it's too late if shejust had a litter in February. Most of my girls have been prettyco-operative, except for one I was never able to get bred. I finallysold her to a pet home. Try leaving her in the buck's cage for a day orso.

Is she someplace where you can have a light source going.

One trick many lionhead breeders do is to keep the lights on in therabbitry in the winter (if they want to do winter breedings). The lighthelps the girls to think its springtime and they become more"receptive" to the idea of breeding.

It must work -I have the lights on a lot and my girls want to breed almost year round...which isn't always a good thing!

Peg

I bred her yet again and this time left her inBuckys cage for most of the afternoon. She was very receptive once shewas done showing him who was boss by mounting him. We stayed out withher and kept a close watch to make sure she wouldn't beat bucky up oranything but all went well so fingers crossed.

Back