fleece Blankets vs cotton terry towels

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
As I am trying to economise on litter I have started using blankets in one of my hutches. I have a couple of cheap baby fleece blankets I use that are laundered frequently. I am wondering if I should switch or also use cotton towels. I wonder what other people's experiences are.
I like the fact that the fleece is lightweight and dries easily. But they do tear it up quite a bit and I guess ingested polyester fibre isn't great. It also doesn't look good in the litter sacks which I give to an organic gardener.
I haven't tried the cotton yet as I fear the excess washing and drying costs. My washing machine and dryer are going non stop as it is. On the other hand shredded cotton blankets can be recycled and individual fibres would rot in the compost.
What does everyone else use?

I like using the fleece. They don't ingest it the way they they the terry option. I have a fleece that is 5 years old and totally full of holes. They still love it. Hubby refuses to let me throw it away.

Have you thought about cloth nappies/diapers? The old fashioned kind? They are big, soft, and pretty absorbant.

I bought a huge bunch of second hand ones at a salvation army store and they are brilliant! My cat even uses them to do her business on.

They don't take as long as towelling to dry as they are thinner. I hang mine on a clothes airer and have a small desk fan blow on them overnight, which is a lot cheaper to run than a drier.

Poo and stuff doesn't get as stuck to them either as it does with toweling, as it doesn't have all the loops on it.

I use cloth nappies for my youngest girl. So I have daily nappy washes anyhow. I just wonder if cotton is suitable for the outside. I justimagine the pee becoming very cold and even freezing in this weather.

I use fleecy blankets with loads of mine. They don't shed, which makes it easier. They have all sorts of holes in, but I also find the bits they bit off (in bunny mouth shapes), and they never seem to ingest anything.

Works well for mine :)

What about creating sorry like a cloth nappy for your bunnies? Like having a prefold or whatever you use as boosters underneath then a staydry layer like seudecloth or microfleece that wicks the moisture away? I just use microfleece as it wicks the moisture away.Apparently terry towels their nails can get caught or something??

PepnFluff wrote:
What about creating sorry like a cloth nappy for your bunnies? Like having a prefold or whatever you use as boosters underneath then a staydry layer like seudecloth or microfleece that wicks the moisture away? I just use microfleece as it wicks the moisture away.Apparently terry towels their nails can get caught or something??
I actually had that sort of idea as the polyester fleece isn't that absorbant. I would probably have to sow it together though as it would never stay in place otherwise:)

I use fleece and love it.
With Terry Towels, they tend to "dig" the threads up and what not. fleece they usually can't, plus it comes it cute designs.

Latest posts

Back