Fleas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanagl

Reaction score
We've got a new bunny about a week ago.
I strongly suspect there were fleas where I bought her from (a sort of farmyard. I don't think the animals there were especially inflicted by fleas, but I got flea bites from walking in the grounds there).
I took her to the vet for a general check-up and he said he doesn't see any fleas and there's no need for any treatment, but I see she's scratching herself. But then, I suppose it's normal for rabbits to scratch a bit, isn't it?
So how do I know if she has fleas or not? And what do I do if she has them?
She totally black, so it'll be quite difficult to see fleas on her...

Hi, Because your vet says she doesn't have any fleas you shouldn't worry. If your bunny scratches herself a little, thats normal. However, if she's constantly scratching, licking, biting at herself, losing hair, and getting flaky skin with little bite marks she most likely has fleas. If she gets fleas you could brush your rabbit with a flea comb and kill them after combing them out. My favorite remedy for fleas is putting 'diatomaceous earth' on my rabbit, and around her area (i leave it around their area for 12 hours before vacuuming it). It's great at repelling fleas and ticks. It doesn't harm rabbits if they eat it, but make sure your rabbit stays hydrated, because it's powder. Good luck with your new bunny!

Ok, thanks. It's not as bad as you describe, so I suppose it really is just normal scratching...

What kind of rabbit is she? Because if she were like a Rex or something with the same sort of fur it would be super hard to tell if she has fleas. And I didn't say don't worry I only said I doubt it and its not like I had much info. It kind of seemed like she found it out on her own that it was just normal.

Back