fleas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagrl

Reaction score
my rabbit has fleas he is no older than 6 weeks i think and he is a dutch bunny. what can i do to get rid of them? also i have noticed he drinks ALOT is this normal?

Which of your 2 rabbits is this 6 week old? Or is there now a 3rd rabbit in the mix?
You just adopted a "2 year old mix" whos been from home to home, so theres no way shes 6 weeks old.
If this is the 1st rabbit your friend gave you, that you got the end of september being the 6 week old one, that would put the rabbit at 3 weeks old when it was given to you, in which case i sure hope a rabbit that young was taken from its mom, but then youve posted pictures of a black rabbit which Im assuming is Simba? in which case Simba is not a Dutch.

So thinking neither of your rabbits are actually 6 weeks old, you can safely just go get revolution or advantage for BOTH of them. The dose for revolution is 18mg/kg.
Be sure to change all bedding, vaccuum your floors, wash everything thats fabric, and freeze that which you can't wash. DO NOT use flea collars, flea bombs, flea shamopps or sprays, topical treatments from the pet store, wipes etc...
As per the water, how much is alot? What are you feeding them, how are their poops?

I'm feeding him unlimted pellets and hay. With lettuce once a day or oats once a week. Im not sure how old so I haven't given him carrots yet. But my other rabbit I had for. Week period then if it was workoing out then I could keep her. But I decieded to just keep simba and put all my attention to him I should have the spay/neuter voucher in a week or so then I will be able to get him spayed. But the water I have a smaller water bottle and he goes through it in a day

Sorry but I'm a bit confused by your posts. So you got rid of the newest rabbit and only have Simba? Is this correct?

Any even remote idea how old Simba is? Did your friend not ask how old he was before they purchased simba for you? It would be nice for you to find out for various reason. Was Simba purchased as a young rabbit or from a family they didnt want Simba? Plus depending on the rabbits age the diet will change. Simba didn't look too young in those photos, but its hard to visually tell the age of a bunny.

Sounds like alot has changed in Simbas life in a short period of time between a new home, new cages at this new home, new diets, suddenly a new rabbit (and now no new rabbit?) Try and keep things steady for him. Its hard to know much without knowing his history.
And no carrots. Doesn't matter how old he is. Mixed lettuces are okay (spring mix is great) You dont need oats.

What brand/variety of pellets are you feeding? What type of Hay. How much does Simba weigh? Is he peeing lots? or the same as usual? How big is this small water bottle (maybe in ml's or oz)

The two rabbits didn't meet. Yes I still have simba I didn't think it was best to get both. I was jumping the gun and not thinking. I think my friend got him and a pet store. When I take him to vet ill see if they can tell me. I forgot what kind of pellets but the hay is kaytee if I remember correctly ill check when I get home.

When you take your rabbit in to get him neutered,I would ask about treating for fleas and mention that he's drinking a lot of water. Increased water consumption could mean he's having some kidney issues. You'll want to get that checked for sure.

Hope that helps!

Rue

No
The basic rule for flea products is - If you can buy it in a pet store, its not worth buying. There are various reasons behind that( I guess that works better up here since advantage can be purchased in the US at pet stores....) Starting with the products not working the way their supposed to, not being effective, being dangerous, cheap, improperly dosed for certain animals, etc..

Stick to revolution or advantage. I know Advantage is widely available down in the US.

Latest posts

Back