Fleas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookieKing

Reaction score
My mother's dog has fleas and we are dosing all the pets with flea medication. My mother's vet told her to use Advantage 18 for cats over 9 pounds on my rabbits but the back of the box says "Use only on cats. Do not use on other animals."

Has anyone else had this brand suggested to them? Is it safe? If not what do you use?

Imidaclopromide is the generic name for Advantage. I don't know why he wants you to use the over 9 lb dose ?

I have no experience with Advantage, however, at our shelter we use Revolution (selamectin) for kittens /puppies which is for animals 5lbs and under.

Advantage is safe for a rabbits in the correct dosage but Revolution is probably more effective .

the medirabbit chart has both the selamection (revolution) and Imidaclopromide (Advantage) in the specific dosing for rabbits
I would not just give the whole dose without really checking this out

Both drugs are off-label for rabbits but commonly used; it is very smart of you to have read the package insert first. Better safe than sorry.

1kg=2.2 lbs

http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Anti_parasitics/safe_antiparasitic.htm

The package of Advantage will have the mg/ml of drug per vial. this mean the amount of the drug in a cc. This is what you need to know in addition to the weight of your rabbit.

Thank you for the information. The vet gave us the 9 lb one because I have two cats who need to be dosed as well. They said to just use one drop on the rabbits, I was just making sure it was safe.

KookieKing wrote:
Thank you for the information. The vet gave us the 9 lb one because I have two cats who need to be dosed as well. They said to just use one drop on the rabbits, I was just making sure it was safe.
advantage/orange box/4 viles-$65/for cats and kittens 8 weeks and older and 9#-and under.//.this is the only product i have utmost respect for.,it does exactly what the label says--kills fleas,eggs,mites,etc-dead-within 12 hours.//.-imidacloprid 9.1%-this product directions are a must read,,as with any insecticide,lethal when mis-used,,note the placement on the skin on the back of the head--it dries rather quick--make sure and wash your hands,,even after petting..i keep one box in my emergency medicine cabinet..generally one dose is all that is necessary to break the cycle ,i have not seen any reinfestation the following month,,.sincerely james waller:wave:

Back