Fleas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie

Reaction score
I just found out over the weekend that I have fleas in my apartment. I do have a cat that I got from a friend, but the cat didn't have fleas to myknowledge. I do have advantage for the cat and the rabbits. The vet told me to give the rabbits full dosage of the kitten dosage of advantage. What else can I do to control the fleas before they get really bad? I have only seen a few fleas, but I really want to get these fleas under control before they get out of control. Please help me with any advice and/or if you can supply me with advantage for the rabbits until I get enough money to buy it from the vet or online, that would be greatly appreciated.

If this is in the wrong section please move it to the right section.

So please any advice and/or if anyone has a supply of advantage please let me know and we can set up something to get it here. My money is really tight and I don't have very much. But I will work something out with you if you can supply me with enough advantage kitten dosage to last me through the winter until about March 2010.

Thank you in advance!

I cannot help supply you with Advantage but I know that you should not use any inexpensive over the counter product on the rabbits. Other than kitten Advantage you can use Revolution for kittens / puppies.
I believe that Randy has stated that a home remedy you canuse is to place Listerine on a cloth and wipe the rabbit with it.
Now I have never done this and don't know anyone who has butI would be concerned re. the rabbit grooming the Listerine off soI imagine that the cloth should only be damp (not sure) ; you could also manually remove the fleas.
I would pm Crystal (AngelsNSnuffy) and ask her about the product that she used to 'bomb' her home; she has mentioned it several times butI just cannot remember what it is.

If you want to ask people for possibly a donationof flea products why don't you place it in the main forum because more people will see it.Since these products are fairly costly maybe you could work something out with a member that you are already close to.
In the meantime you can manually take the fleas off but in the long run the environment will need to be treated.

Thank you angieluv. I will be PMing AngelsNSnuffy for that info along with Randy about the listerine thing.

I will ask James Waller, he is just a ferry boat eide away from me about advantage and such.

Before you panic too much, have you tried rubbing your bunnies butt fur vigorously while you are over a paper towel?

Spritz the paper towel lightly with water when you are done, and see if you see red spots.. If so, then the buns have fleas for sure.

If not,well, we can buy time...

You can get Sevin dust from the garden centre.
Here's my OLD thread about fleas.. there are some great ideas in there from a lot of folks: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=36361&forum_id=16&jump_to=477447#p477447

ETA: I would do the listerine treatment on the buns, then go to the dollar store. Buy a flea collar and stick it in the vaccuum. Vaccum everything like mad, and wash all the bunnies' stuff.

Then, rub diatomaceous earth into the carpet. Leave it for a week+, and vaccuum again.

Keep the cat away from buns if rabbits aren't infested yet ;)

Thank you very much, but I do know first hand what fleas can do, multiply like rabbits. My mom had problems with fleas. I want to get a handle on them before they get where I have problems with them.

Hey there! Are you seeing fleas on your (white socks)I've heard that that is what they're attracted to-white socks. If not, it's not that bad, yet.

Yes, I had a Vet give me acan called Knockout E.S. for fleas and is intended to spray the perimeters of your rooms to stop the varments from continuing on.:) If you happen to get some, just do what instructions say, which is spraying the perimeters of the room and not allowing animals in the room until it's dry and that's pretty much it.

Best of luck and let me know how it goes!

Crys:D

I am not really confident in flea-bombs. I haven't used them, but I really worry about them causing damage to the rabbits, even if you wait a while before putting the bunnies back in the room that was bombed. I would try diatomaceous earth, flea collar in the vacuum, and steam cleaning first. Granted, I own a steam cleaner (Bissel Little Green) and my apartment is not carpeted (we do have some rugs).

NorthernAutumn: it is okay, I am willing to do anything and everything to control these fleas before they get bad. I will always try the inexpensive way first, then go for the expensive stuff very last.

I will be cleaning my place every day and on the weekends I will do deep cleaning until I have no fleas, then I will be cleaning every Sunday.

I will be vacuuming and steam cleaning, steam cleaning will have to be when I can get a steam cleaner or someone will let me borrow theirs.

I will try that diatomaceous earth stuff, the knock out E.S, vacuum, steam clean, and the kitten Advantage(for the rabbits) first, before going to the flea bombs. The flea bombs are my very last resort, because I have to leave my cat and rabbits with one or two of my neighbors if/when I flea bomb.

Thank you all who have responded! If anyone has anymore advice, please let me know. Thanks!

Angieluv: couldn't I put listerine on the carpet and couch, anything that the fleas would be on other than the animals? Will it make the fleas leave the house/apartment?

Sweetie wrote:
Angieluv: couldn't I put listerine on the carpet and couch, anything that the fleas would be on other than the animals? Will it make the fleas leave the house/apartment?
No
there's no way that you could hit everything with listerine

What you can use to spray the rugs and furniture is a spray that's safe for pets it's called Natural Chemistry DeFlea. I've used it when I moved in the flea's where on the moving blankets and I sprayed the stuff on my rugs, furniture and mattress. I used Revolution for my bunnies and Frontline for my cat. You spray and it dries then you vaccum I did it every other day for about 2 months. I have hardwood floors and remanent rugs so I needed about 5 bottles.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752757

I spread regular table salt on the floor and let it sit for a while. The flea's and flea larvae come in contact with the salt and it drys them out. Vacuuming is the best way to get rid of fleas, the vacuuming will stimulate the larvae and they will hatch,between the salt and the continuous vacuuming will get rid of the eggs, larvae and fleas.

Ok! So I will be vacuuming every day or so until the fleas are under control then I will be vacuuming every week, once a week. Also I will be putting kitten Advantage on my rabbits and cat. My cat is about 9 lbs, so it should work since kitten Advantage is for 0 to 9 lbs. Thank you very much!

Back