FLEAS

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A popular suitable chemical application for a rabbit is Revolution. You can buy that from your vet.
Do not ever use Frontline.
Here's our library link on the subject: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12922&forum_id=10

Hope that will help :) If you've got a flea infestation, it would be a good idea to vaccuum at least once daily with a flea collar placed in the receptacle.

I know that at the shelter they treat all the bunnies who come in with a drop of revolution on the nape of the neck. I doubt that would be a very expensive treatment. I've never heard of the flea collar in the vacuum trick but that's really smart! You do need to make sure that you get rid of all the fleas since they can live in any fiber very easily.

During my flea infestation last year, I also rubbed diatomaceous earth into all of the upholstery, kept all animals off it for a number of days, then vaccuumed it up. Fleas eat the diatoms and are cut up internally.
Keep in mind that the flea cycle is fairly long, so you may be battling this for a few months if not taken care of properly...

The dosage depends on the weight of the rabbit. I usually use the size for kittens and cats up to 4 kg. (Advantage), or the size for kittens and pups (Revolution), and apply the full tube. But that's because those are what is right for Hazel.
It is better to ask your vet what the safe dose is for your particular rabbit. If you apply too much, that can be bad for your rabbit. If you don't apply enough on the other hand, it may not work to kill all fleas or mites properly. It may even make the mites resistant to the chemical.
As far as I know, there's nothing for rabbits that works on ticks.

RESPONSES FROM TEMPORARY FORUM:

buneary49 wrote:
Anyone know is there anything for rabbits to prevent fleas and ticks ?
Xila wrote:
I think Advantage is ok, but don't quote me on that until someone confirms it. I think there's another one people use, too. There might be some home things you can do as well. (IE- Daily brushing.)

I know Frontline is a big no-no, and I'm almost positive flea dips and collars are, too. However, that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in. (Or someone already has while I was typing this)

~Xila
Flashy wrote:
They only need treating for fleas, mites or ticks, if they have them. Do you have concerns your rabbit has a problem? Or are you just being cautious?
buneary49 wrote:
well I don't want him to scrach his ears raw, but i spotted about 3 fleas on him that I pick off him.
tonyshuman wrote:
The typical way to do that is a drop of Advantage on the nape of the neck. I don't think there are any ill effects since they do it to all the bunnies that come in to the shelter.
buneary49 wrote:
that's the little bottle right? than I use 1 drop.
JimD wrote:
I've never had to treat for fleas.

Since we don't have access to our RO Library, I located an atricle from the HRS.

NorthernAutumn wrote: [/b]
The other major treatment is Revolution.

I wrote a big long post to you on the forum... but obviously, it is inaccessible.
I would be hesitant to use anything you find in the average grocery store. Bring a list of safe bunny flea treatments.

Don't use anything on rabbits that is made by Hertz for cats .
Hazel-mom wrote:
buneary49 wrote:
that's the little bottle right? than I use 1 drop.
The dosage depends on the weight of the rabbit. I usually use the size for kittens and cats up to 4 kg. (Advantage), or the size for kittens and pups (Revolution), and apply the full tube. But that's because those are what is right for Hazel.
It is better to ask your vet what the safe dose is for your particular rabbit. If you apply too much, that can be bad for your rabbit. If you don't apply enough on the other hand, it may not work to kill all fleas or mites properly.
As far as I know, there's nothing for rabbits that works on ticks.

Latest posts

Back