FLEAS!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starina

Reaction score
I just found a couple fleas on my rabbit. I guess that would explain the naked neck. I want to take care of this problem and get rid of them. The thing is we have a dog and I think she is the one who brought them into the house. What can I use on the bunny, her cage, our carpet and our bed that won't hurt her or make her sick?? I'll take care of the dog and the rest of the house with the usual stuff. I just don't need my bunny getting sick from the flea stuff. Please help!

~Star~

Ivermectin can be used on the rabbit. Some people use it straight like that. I use Xeno 450, I think some people use Advantage for kittens, but I'm not sure about that.

When I treated my house I just used the regular stuff for the room/house and all that stuff. I took the bunnies out of the area for 48 hours and then allowed them back in, so you obviously need to put them somewhere away from the fumes.

We use Revolution on all incoming rescues. It is the best and we have never had a problem with it. But it does require a prescription and is a little pricey...but I think it's worth every penny due to being so effective and safe. Advantage has been used but there have been reports of problems with some rabbits. Ivermectin has also been used but proper dosing is critical. And a wildlife trick....basic Listerine mouthwash on a damp cloth will work too. In very rare situations....and we try to avoid this if at all possible...we have used kitten spray if we have had a terrible infestation.

Randy

After I calmed down, I realized that we have a whole section with links and references here. :rollseyesThe links all reccomended Advantage, as everything else can be toxic. Then the next day at work I called around and found a vet that would sell me just 1 dose without a RX. They were really nice there, I think when I get the cash up for the bunny's spay I will call them and see if they have someone who is familiar with rabbits. They wouldn't just let me buy it, they made sure to call Bayer (the company that makes it) and varify that it was indeed safe for bunnies. I thought that was pretty awesome.

So the TinkleBunny is SO much happier and is more like herself. The booboos on her neck are healing up nicely too. I haven't seen any fleas on her since I put the Advantage on her. The dog also has been treated and now I am getting rid of them from the carpet and that sort of thing.

~Star~

Don't forget to treat the yard! Fleas are a big problem here in the South.. I can have 0 fleas in house or on the dogs and no fleas in yard for awhile and then suddenly they go out into the yard and come in with fleas. The whole treatment process starts over again. It's a constant upkeep, vaccuming, spraying the yard etc.

I se Advantage on my dogs and Revolution ( kitten) for the buns , not as a monthly preventative for them but IF I see fleas on them. When I groom them, I use a flea comb.
Good luck and happy defleaing ;)

~Sealy

Latest posts

Back