Fleas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juicyjuicee

Reaction score
We've never had a problem with fleas until abouta couple weeks ago. 2 of our 6 cats have fleas. The others couldpossibly have them but there's mainly just the 2 that are noticeable.So we're going to get some kind of flea medication, we were lookinginto Advantage and Frontline plus. Does anyone have any "experience"with both of these as to which one would be better?

And any tips on trying to de-flea the house would be great too.

It isn't very often I have problems with fleas(surprisingly, as both my dog and my cat go outdoors so often), but Ido recall several years ago having a particularly tough problem withthem. My cat brought fleas into the house and they quickly reproduced.I don't care for using chemicals and toxins with my pets, but it seemedeverything I tried failed - vaccuuming, washing bedding, sprayingcitron around - nothing worked. So I finally decided to try Advantage,and it did work very well. However, I still am leery about using anyproducts on animals that are so strong, and that are applied directlyon the skin. Not sure I would use it again, but at the time it did takecare of the fleas, and I only used one application.

I also had an outbreak of fleas once when my sister asked me to take ina little cat she'd found abandoned in a field. Poor little thing wasabsolutely infested with fleas. I was fortunate though with her; didn'treally use any flea medications on her other than a fleashampoo...simply gave her a couple of baths and then vacuumed,vacuumed, and revacuumed...throwing the bags out each time (otherwiseany eggs that are suctioned up will hatch in the vacuum and emerge). Iguess I was lucky enough to catch them before they managed to reproducein the house, because I never saw any signs of fleas after that.

Sorry I don't have really concrete suggestions for you...

Oh, almost forgot...there is a product advertised online called"Fleabusters". I have no idea how safe it is, but apparently a lot ofpeople rave about it. You could try researching it to see if you'dthink it's safe enough to use in your home. Here's one link:

http://www.pest-control-supplies.com/arrest2.htm

But as with any product, make sure whatever you do use is also safewith rabbits around, as something that they claim is safe for cats anddogs could potentially be lethal to a rabbit. Good luck! :)

I work for a dog rescue and we put Frontline Plus on all of our animals. It works well as long as you keep applying each month.

For clearing out the house, you can bomb it. Just take out ALL theanimals and cover up their homes. Thouroughly clean before you returnthem. I had a major problem a couple of years ago and had to do that.

Another suggestion. DONT get Hartz! It has killed animals and I(unknowingly) put it on my cat once a long while back and it burnt him.Blisters all around the area where it was applied.

I actually don't have a rabbit anymoreBassetluv. Charlie passed away in August. He got fly strike- maggotswere in his rectum. They entered through a sore on his belly the vetthinks. He went through surgery and made it but He died about 3 hourslater. The vet said there was something else wrong withhimbut they couldn't figure out what. It bothered me becausethey failed to tell me that when i picked him up. It was after he hadpassed away they told me.

Binkies- I've heard Hartz is horrible and that so many animals getallergic reactions to their products. They Should be taken off themarket.

Thanks everyone.

Make sure you treat the house. Use acarpet treatment, remove all the animals and use a bug bomb,something. Then put a flea collar in your vacuum bag andvacuum a lot, regularly. That will help kill any thatsurvived.

Flea combs work well after they've been treated, so you can see if they still have fleas left over.

Back