Fleas - What do you use on carpets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chewy-de-Lionhead

Bunny Slave
Reaction score
So the dog brought in fleas. I called the Vet and got 2 doses of revolution. But my question is, what is safe to use on the carpets? I want to stop this before it gets out of control. (Been there done that, just didn't have a bunny then) I used to use the Home Defense with the IGR, and vacuum like a mad woman with a flea collar in the bag.

So what products are safe to treat the carpet and rid it of the larvae and eggs?

Your safest bet is still vacuuming. One good use for the empty tube of revolution is throwing that into your vacuum bag or canister too. Frequent vacuuming, even of rooms with no carpet, and paying close attention to the baseboards will help rid your home of fleas. It's also essential to treat all the pets in the household which it sounds like you're already doing. Any bedding that you can launder should be washed and dried in a hot dryer.

Your safest bet is still vacuuming. One good use for the empty tube of revolution is throwing that into your vacuum bag or canister too. Frequent vacuuming, even of rooms with no carpet, and paying close attention to the baseboards will help rid your home of fleas. It's also essential to treat all the pets in the household which it sounds like you're already doing. Any bedding that you can launder should be washed and dried in a hot dryer.

Yup. Dog is on Frontline Plus, Chewy is on the Revolution. I bought the Zodiac Flea Collar (Large) and Cut about a 6" piece off and stuffed it into the Vacuum bag. Vac'd all the floors yesterday and will hit them again today here in a bit. Washed all blankets, rugs, and anything else that could go in the washer. Put the Rugs out in the sun to "bake" since they have the plastic backing. Dried all blankets on High.

I just hope that with both meds, I don't have to wait until Wood burning season to get rid of them. The last time we had them, I had to fire up the wood burner and keep the humidity down for 3 days. That did the trick along with the Home Defense spray.

Chewy seems to be flea free (I only saw one on him) but the dog is still itching. UGH! Wish I hadn't gotten rid of the chickens now. We never had fleas when they were loose in the back yard.

diatomaceous earth FOOD GRADE on the carpets Sprinkle on liberally. Let it set for a bit, then vaccuum.

reapply 7-9 days later. Let set for a bit and vaccuum again. :)

Vacuuming wakes up the eggs. So I would vaccuum first, then apply the DE, let it set for a bit and then vaccuum again.

Latest posts

Back