Fleas? Too much water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninetoes01

Reaction score
I have a new bunny, her name is Abby. She is separated from my buck, Cinder, by a cage-like wall. So they can see each other, and even groom each other if they so choose.

1) Abby drinks a LOT of water! She goes through a dish (about1 cup) per day, and if I gave her more, she would take it! I'm a little concerned, but obviously not concerned ENOUGH to take her to the vet yet. Does anyone know if this is relatively normal, or if I SHOULD be concerned? It's not hot out anymore, my house is a comfortable temperature. Outside it's about 10 or 15C, my house is about 20C.

2) I have seen fleas on both bunnies. I have stuff at my work (I work in a pet store) that can be used for dogs and cats, does anyone know of stuff that can be used on bunnies too? It's the stuff that you put on the back of the pet's neck and is used over the three month period.

3)If bunnies have fleas, are they the same fleas that are found on dogs and/or cats? If they have fleas, does this mean that the same type of flea can comfortably feed/live on my dog? Or would my dog have a different type of flea? Basically, am I going to have to treat my dog and the bunnies too?

Thanks ahead RO!!! <3

As far as the water consumption, that sounds pretty normal to me. I wouldn't withhold water from her, let her have all she wants.

This is a link to our library article on fleas
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12922&forum_id=10
Rabbits can be treated with Revolution or Advantage (but NOT with frontline!)
The flea on your rabbit is the same species of flea as the flea on your dog (and you!). I would treat both and if the dog goes outside regularly, I would keep the dog on flea prevention to keep it from bringing the fleas in.

I have only heard of one situation in which the bunny drank too much water--it was bowls and bowls a day. Usually don't limit the water intake. Excessive water intake can be a sign of kidney issues--is her urine normal, or extremely dilute?

Seconded to what Christina said about the fleas.

A rabbit I rescued had a bad case of ear mites and he drank excessive amounts of water due to the discomfort and pain. I wouldn't withhold water but it's possible for rabbit to drink excessively when in some kind of physical pain.

From what I've read, methoprene is not harmful to rabbits. The dosing might be a bit complicated, though. I'd dose it as if the bunny were a kitten or cat.

Bunnies can drink a ton of water if they have kidney problems, and I guess pain can cause it too.

i have a few buns that just drink more water then the others..and they tend to drink more water when u change their hay(dif bale or brand) or if their eating more hay then usual they drink alot more water.

Ugh fleas!! Sometimes fleas can spread worms and other parasites. Maybe check if Abby has regular stools and see if she has a head tilt. I think that disease can cause kidney problems.

Latest posts

Back